19634: Hess: Re: 19590: (Craig) Re: 19538: Seraphin (fwd)

From: DougRHess@aol.com

>>While respecting the desirability Foreign Affairs representation for any
country, I cannot understand how a country such as Haiti, with its
considerable domestic needs, can afford to appoint ambassadors and
establish embassies and/or consulates to Taiwan, Japan or any other
state (nation), except in the few instances where it is obviously in the
best interests for the future of its impoverished peoples.<<

countries to the development of the country justify the expense.

Haiti has long supported Taiwanese positions in the UN which leads to Taiwan
financial support of Haiti. In turn, this leads the Chinese (mainland)
government to not through a kind eye on Haiti. If I recall correctly, the mainland
Chinese government, a permanent member of the security council, used its
position to weaken the international force in Haiti after the 1994 intervention. I'd
be interested in somebody commenting on this, as I may have this wrong.

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Administration,
George Washington University

Home address:
2114 N St., NW Apt. 23
Washington, DC 20037