19641: Esser: Aristide pressed on next moves (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

CNN.com
03.02.2004

Aristide pressed on next moves

BANGUI, Central African Republic --Claims by Haiti's ousted leader
that U.S. officials forced him from power have disturbed his hosts in
the Central African Republic, who are pressing him to consider
another country of exile.

Jean-Bertrand Aristide says he was forced out of Haiti in a "real
coup d'etat" led by the United States, in what he called a "modern
way to have a modern kidnapping."

"I was told that to avoid bloodshed I'd better leave," he said in an
interview on CNN Monday.

The claims were dismissed by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and
others in the Bush administration.

France, who has been working with the U.S. on the Haiti crisis,
meanwhile said it was "protecting" the former Haitian president in
the Central African Republic but insisted it did not control his
movements there.

"At present, I would say he is being protected rather than
imprisoned," French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie told Europe
1 radio.

But Aristide's statements did create diplomatic worries for his new
host country, where he is staying in the official residence of
President Francois Bozize.

"The authorities have already called on Aristide to remain calm, to
stop making accusations against America," Foreign Minister Charles
Wenezoui told The Associated Press.

"We fear that this kind of declaration compromises relations between
the Central African Republic and the United States."

Aristide and the president's ministers were expected to discuss plans
for the ousted Haitian leader's final asylum plans in an
as-yet-unknown third country later Tuesday, Communications Minister
Parfait Mbaye said.

"Bozize will come and deal with this problem of settlement today and
in the days to come," Mbaye told AP.

South Africa has said it has agreed in principle to accept Aristide,
but has not received a formal request. Like the Central African
Republic, it was thought to be troubled by the political and
diplomatic problems that could arise from offering asylum.

"Diplomatic contacts are still going on to find Aristide another
country of asylum," said Wenezoui, the foreign minister, without
elaborating.

Central African Republic's Foreign Ministry said it would investigate
Aristide's charges that he was "forced to leave" by U.S. forces.

"Concerning Aristide's declarations, we are going to see -- and take
appropriate measures," Wenezoui said, without elaborating.

Powell said Aristide's claims were "absurd."

"He was not kidnapped. We did not force him on to the airplane. He
went onto the airplane willingly, and that's the truth," the
secretary of state said in Washington.

Aristide described the American "agents" as "good, warm, nice," but
said he had no rights during his 20-hour flight to Africa.

Meanwhile in Haiti, rebels occupied the national police headquarters
but kept away from the U.S.-guarded presidential palace after their
convoy entered the capital Monday to the cheers of thousands
celebrating Aristide's ousting.

Dozens of insurgents packing an eclectic array of weapons dating back
to World War II swaggered around an up-market hotel where rebel
leader Guy Philippe met members of the political coalition that
opposed Aristide. He was joined by rebel commander Louis-Jodel
Chamblain.

International aid agencies Tuesday said the chaotic situation in
Haiti following the president's ousting had halted the distribution
of vital food and medical supplies.

Copyright 2004 CNN. All rights reserved.
.