19657: Leiderman: automated Haitian NGO's? (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

I followed the link to Haiti Support Group that Mr/Ms Esser gave in the
posted article attributed to HSG, "no return of the Army, no coup
makers..."  despite a variety of reports, opinions and links to other
organizations, the website did not seem to have the name of a single
person responsible for or affiliated with HSG; there was just a general
e-mail address.  I got the image of an automated Haitian NGO somewhere,
with a large spool of tape slowly rotating on an electronic console in
the background, broadcasting its messages in the manner of those
syndicated radio systems we know about, where the only real person is the
one who comes at night to dust the equipment.

for NGO's who want to inform, educate and change conditions in Haiti
and abroad, I urge you to clearly identify your officers and staff to
readers and viewers...on your website, in your press releases,
manifestos, arts and crafts.  then, you are more likely to receive my
trust, contribution and other support you (may) deserve.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman

note: I only personally know two people affiliated with HSG, Ron Daniels
in New York and Mawiyah Duperval in Florida who are both energetic and
dedicated workers for Haitian causes.  they customarily identify their
work and views, so it was that much more curious when I couldn't find
anyone's name on the HSG website.