19675: Power: I hate news. It makes me doubt reality (fwd)

From: mike power <mikepeterpower@hotmail.com>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1159998,00.html

Gray Younge in the Guardian.

<snip>
The rebel vehicles had mechanical trouble during the drive, delaying their
arrival in the capital. *Mr Philippe's bulletproof van* broke down and he
hopped into a truck.

[sarcasm] Where did he get that, then. From that renowned Ouanaminthe
car-hire firm, BulletProofs R Us? Or maybe from the Hertz franchise with it
range of military vehicles found in Gonaives? [/sarcasm]

<snip>
As well as armed rebels wearing camouflage uniforms with US army insignia
*(bought in bulk at surplus stores)*, there were armed civilians and police.

[paranoia] Anyone else twitch at this? Just a twitch, mind. Younge is an
honourable man and a committed, exact reporter, but it's a jumpy time.
[/paranoia].

I hate news. It makes me doubt reality rather than trust it.

Here's what I want to know. Give  me the basic answer to this journalistic
question: why would the US sponsor a CIA-assisted coup d'etat in Haiti? I
understand that Aristide was seeen as an ideological enemy, as a corrupt
wrong-doer wh ruined the economy, and as the paymaster of a dangerous
private militia. But why, in exact, evidence-based terms, would the US
benefit from his departure? They do nothing that fails to serve their own
purpose, and I want to know the facts.

Mike Power
replies to:
mpphaiti@fastmail.fm   please, Bob - Fastmail attaches ghost files.

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/