19668: Senou: Chance for a New Haiti (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Chance of a New Haiti

Let focus on Haiti and put all this stuff into an
historical perspective. The Friendship between the
United States and France was damaged since France had
lost billions of Dollars in the Iraqi saga. Now, this
is history. These two countries were looking for an
opportunity to repair it and Haiti comes at the right
moment and in the right time. The United States and
France had seized this golden opportunity to renew
their friendship. Le président américain George Bush a
téléphoné mardi à son homologue français Jacques
Chirac "pour se féliciter de l'excellente coopération
franco-américaine en Haïti", selon la porte-parole de
l'Elysée Catherine Colonna

Today, let focus on the future. Make no mistake the
friendship between the United States and France is
back to its two feet and these two super powers will
use it to their advantages.

Many of you have a divisive mind and are living “dans
l’irréel du présent”, it is not the time to bring your
emotion in this sensitive issue. Now, you need to use
your brain and deal with this current reality.

History repeats itself and this time in Haiti. On
October 9, 1779 the Haitian Freedom Fighters joined
the coalition Franco-American to fight the British
during the Siege of Savannah. Today, we see a
coalition of U.S. and French soldiers in Haiti. Who
could have imagined what we are seeing right now? Who
could have thought seeing this in our 200 years of
independence? You need to learn your history and
sometimes it repeats itself.

We gave French and American the opportunity to renew
their friendship and base on these writings and
comments, I notice that you are going to bring back
divisive issues that prevent us to get together. And
most of you know what you are doing.

The situation in Haiti is not clear at this present
moment and there is an opportunity to form a coalition
government with all sectors. The rebels shall be
disarmed by all means. They have two options: They can
do it peacefully or by force
We shall not let passion and emotion divert us from
using this opportunity to our advantages.

We need to grant a general amnesty to the rebel and to
all crimes committed from 1804 up to now. We need to
exert diplomacy.

Now we need to reset the clock.

We need to establish a Reconciliation Commission
similar to the post apartheid era in South Africa. The
members of that commission shall be 75 and over and
all information shall remain seal for the next 50
years or until this generation is no more. Let the
future historians deal with this issue.

In order to take advantage of the amnesty, one must
confess his/her crime in front of this commission.

Some of you lost your love ones and may be unwilling
to accept this proposition. This cycle of violence is
destroying Haiti and at some points we need to
reevaluate our methods. Today, thousand of convicted
felons are on the loose in Haiti and in the Diaspora.
Big felons, small felons; they are everywhere. This
amnesty will give everyone a new life.

Haiti shall not rush in organizing any election at
this present moment, that collation government shall
restructure the Police National, the justice system,
the Haitian economy and diminish the violence. This
current constitution shall be amended and articles 13,
14 and 15 of the 1987 constitution must be revised and
Haitians in the Diaspora shall be able to vote for the
next Presidential Election. Double Citizenship is a
necessity and Haitians in the Diaspora must have the
right to vote.

Today we help France and the United States to renew
their friendship and if we are smart like we pretend
to be, don’t you think that we shall capitalize as
well.

Get together, work together, respect each other and
rebuild Haiti. The Germans and the Japanese were
occupied; 20 years later they became the two most
powerful economic countries in the hemisphere. Today,
we have a multinational force in Haiti; we need to use
that opportunity to rebuild the country and not
fighting with each other.  We have a chance to rebuild
Haiti and let use this momentum to do the right thing.
I call 2004 the year of Engagement and Compassion.
My fellow Haitian brothers and sisters go to Germany
and Japan, most of these folks did not agree with the
occupation but they did not have a choice. You, today,
may not agree with the presence of the international
force in this sensitive year but you have no other
choice. Let use it in a positive way and let try to
get the best out of it. Again don’t forget our
ancestors, don’t forget the Historic union and don’t
forget L’union fait la force.

May all of you have a great week!

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 334