19725: Damages in Haiti (fwd)

From: Marina <marinawus@yahoo.com>

The following e-mail is circulating on the internet
and I believe it is important.

More important is for this list to have discussion of
substance about Haiti. I believe that most Haitians
and Hatian-Americans are much more concerned with what
and how are we going to come up with financing fox the
extensive damages perpetrated in Haiti during the past
few weeks and how do we rebuild with EVERYONE.

Also a topic for discussion is the extent to which we
all played a role in the downfall of the LAVALAS
government? How do we better keep our government
accountable? How do we create avenues for the HAITIAN
DIASPORA to INDEPENDENTLY LOBBY the Haitian Government
for policies and matters that are of concern to US?

[I say independently because a Minister of the 10th
department within the Haitian Government will defend
the interest of the Haitian govenment in the diaspora
and not vice versa. We need to have our own
representative and our own representation.]

Many news item and discussion topics are widely
circulated in the Haitian and Haitian-American
community that has access to the internet. I believe
that the Lavalas and anti-lavalas discussions have
lasted enough and that we need to move on. Our concern
should be to focus on the current affairs of Haiti.

Hi all:

below is a link containing pictures of the destruction
of property
perpetrated by aristide's chimères in the past few
days.

I'm still enraged by what i saw yesterday at Capital
Bank headquarters. No
one can comprehend this unless you've seen it. NEws
have talked about
looting, but this was no looting. This was clearly a
well orchestrated
plan to go in and destroy. All their office equipment,
file cabinets,
desks, chairs, bathrooms, were smashed. Computers and
screens were thrown
out the window and lay in pieces on the street. The
main office of
Capital's credit card division accross the street was
no different. I can't
explain enough the emotions I was feeling, since I had
worked there for 5
years as an auditor.

This morning, the dean of the agronomy school at
Damien was describing the
same situation. Nothing is left of Damien: labs,
student dorms, teachers'
offices, everything's gone. We're talking here about a
more than 100 years
old school!!

Here's a partial list of the casualties, based on my
own personal account:
Faculté d'agronomie - wiped out
Université Quisqueya - partially destroyed
Sogebank - 7 branches destroyed
Unibank - 3 branches destroyed
Unitransfer - HQ destroyed and burnt down
SOgecarte - HQ destroyed and burnt down
Promobank - HQ destroyed
Delimart: 2 stores destroyed
Tele Haiti - destroyed and burnt down
Texaco - 15 gas stations and Starmart destroyed ($1
miillon a pop)
Orphelinat Pasteur Joel Jeune : burned down
Ciné Capitol: burnt down
Radi Vision 2000: burned

etc, etc...

This is not the typical dechoukaj we saw in 1986 and
after, when people
attacked and looted homes and businesses belonging to
JCD's ministers and
family. Rather, this is the continuation of
arisitide's plans to destroy
all the country's institutions. For this he gets an
A+, and because of
this, he deserved to be put to jail, nothing more,
nothing less. I hope the
victims can quickly file formal complaints so they can
get this man back
where he belongs, and take back the millions he stole
from the country.

I'm sending this to you so you can pass on this
information, and please
don't be fooled by those congressmen who are trying to
raise a sympathy
campaign for arisitide. Most of them havre been on
Arisitide's payroll for
years, and they have no genuine interest for Haiti.

here's the link for the pictures:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34907c2c4d5