19734: IRC Communications: Americas Program | Undemocratic U.S. Policy in Haiti (fwd)

From: IRC Communications <communications@irc-online.org>

March 3, 2004

New from the IRC's Americas Program:

Interview with Haiti Expert Robert Maguire
Aristide's Fall: The Undemocratic U.S. Policy in Haiti

Interview by IRC's Policy Director Tom Barry with Robert Maguire, director
of the Haiti Program at Trinity College in Washington, DC.

NED and USAID are important, says Robert Maguire, but actually the main
actor
is the International Republican Institute on International Affairs (IRI),
which
has been very active in Haiti for many years. Particularly in the past
three
years, IRI has it been working with the opposition groups. IRI insisted,
through
the administration, that USAID give it funding for its work in Haiti and
USAID
has reluctantly done so. IRI has worked exclusively with the Democratic
Convergence
groups in its party-building exercises and support.

The IRI point person is Stanley Lucas, who historically has had close ties
with the Haitian military. All of the IRI-sponsored meetings with the
opposition
have occurred outside Haiti, either in the Dominican Republic or in the
United
States. The IRI has indirectly opposed Aristide from the beginning, since
it
has only worked with opposition groups that have challenged the legitimacy
of the Aristide government.

See full article online at
http://www.americaspolicy.org/articles/2004/0403haiti-int.html

With printer-friendly PDF version at:
http://www.americaspolicy.org/pdf/articles/0403haiti-int.pdf

***** We Count on Your Support *****

Please consider supporting the Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC). The
IRC is a new kind of think tank--one serving citizen movements and
advancing
a fresh, internationalist understanding of global affairs and Latin
American
issues. Although we make our IRC products freely available on the Internet,
we need financial support to cover our staff time and expenses. The IRC
depends
on you and other individual donors to sustain our bare-bones budget. Click
on https://secure.iexposure.com/irc/donate.cfm to support IRC online, or
for
information about making contributions over the phone or through the mail.
If you respond to this donation solicitation, please enter 'AP' in the
"Special
Offer Code" field.

***** Thank you ******

Distributed by the IRC's Americas Program ~ A New World of Ideas, Analysis,
and Policy Options.

For more information, visit www.americaspolicy.org. To report problems or
request
that we remove you from future mailings, email:
communications@irc-online.org.

For our UPDATER newsletter, please see:
http://www.americaspolicy.org/updater/index.html

Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC)