19751: Dietrich: Haiti update 3/3 (fwd)

From: Renee Dietrich <sjgrants@hotmail.com>

Hello everybody...

Well, things see to be getting back to, somewhat, normal here. Michael was
up to Wings yesterday and he said most businesses were open. The banks are
supposed to be open tomorrow. Schools are still closed, but I'm assuming
that won't last long. The Baptist Mission by Wings is back open today. Life
on the streets seems pretty normal.

Michael said the big problem today was long lines at the gas stations. Since
we rely on diesel fuel for the generators that could cause a bit of a
problem if it persists.

It's been a few days since I wrote you, so let me fill you in on has been
going on, particularly on Sunday.

The most visible, or maybe I should say audible, event on Sunday and Monday
were the plethora of gunshots, some of them pretty close. It was a little
disconcerting, but eventually I got used to it. I figured if they weren't
shooting at me I was okay. Watching the activity on the street in front of
Wings there were a few people walking around with guns, which again was a
little disturbing.

There was at least one killing in the area on Sunday. The killing wasn't
politically motivated, however. It apparently was a thief that someone
wanted revenge against. The uncertainty and mob mentality of the day
apparently were motivations for the killing. I heard an Aristide government
official who lives just up the road had his home ransacked.

We had heard that the ports were looted over the weekend which made us a
little nervous because we are expecting a shipment with the two wringer
washers for the Wings laundry rooms and the new playground for Wings of
Hope. We have heard that shipment is secure, so that is great news.

Apparently there were reports in the U.S. media that a lot of orphanages
were broken into and looted over the past few days. Fortunately, that did
not happen to our homes. We are still on guard against thieves, particularly
at night.

The country is without cable television now because TeleHaiti was broken
into and destroyed on Sunday. This means that we are getting very little
news from the states. I am still able to look things up on the internet when
I can get on, but other than that we are simply relying on the word on the
street and tidbits we get in emails. It also means we don't have any
distractions by watching television at night. I'm sure the kids are not
happy about missing the music videos on BET that they love.

So far I haven't seen any American troops. I think they are staying
downtown. It will be interesting to see as things progress what their impact
will be on the situation and if the attitudes toward them effect us
non-military foreigners.

Word is that American Airlines will start flying again on Friday. I hope
that is the beginning of a return to normalcy that our friends are looking
for when they consider coming to visit us.

You will be getting another email from me today or tomorrow that is an
appeal to help us with emergency funding. We have experienced some pretty
large losses due to all the guest house cancellations the situation here has
caused. I ask that you give it  and what you can do to help us careful
consideration.

Thanks for all your prayers, support and friendship.

Peace,
Renee

One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – download MSN Toolbar now!