19795: Esser: Will the UN and OAS Recognize Aristide or Coup Leaders? (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

DemocracyNow!
http://www.democracynow.org

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2004
Will the UN and OAS Recognize Aristide or Coup Leaders?

Segment:
http://stream.realimpact.net/rihurl.ram?file=webactive/demnow/
dn20040303.ra&start=15:51.7
Show: http://www.archive.org/download/dn2004-0303/dn2004-0303-1.mp3
Watch 128k stream:
http://play.rbn.com/?url=demnow/demnow/demand/2004/march/128/
dn20040303a.rm&proto=rtsp&start=15:51.7

We speak with the Center for Constitutional Rights' Michael Ratner
about who the United Nations and Organization should recognize as the
legitimate government of Haiti under international law and we take a
look at the English translation of Aristide's resignation letter
which he says is altered to omit a key phrase.
At the United Nations here in New York, Haitians and
Haitian-Americans protested what they call the overthrow of President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

As the Haitians demonstrated at the UN, as well as in San Francisco,
Vice president Dick Cheney was giving a rare round of interviews to
FOX News and CNN. He told both networks that President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide had "worn out his welcome" as Haiti's president.

The removal of Aristide from Haiti has put the country's
international diplomats into a difficult situation. Aristide claims
he did not resign and says that the handwritten message in creole
that the US says was his letter of resignation was mistranslated in
English. The US says Aristide is gone and that the Haitian Supreme
Court justice, Boniface Alexandre, is the interim president. So who
speaks for Haiti internationally and at the United Nations?

• Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights.

To purchase an audio or video copy of this entire program, click here
for our new online ordering or call 1 (800) 881-2359.
.