19824: (Chamberlain) Aristide's Letter-Text (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

AP, 4 March 04)

   Here is the text of the letter Jean-Bertrand Aristide signed just before
leaving Haiti on Sunday.
   ------
   TRANSLATION FROM CREOLE BY THE U.S. EMBASSY IN HAITI:
   I took an oath to respect and have the Constitution respected.
   This evening, 28 February 2004, I am still determined to respect and
have the Constitution respected.
   The Constitution is the guarantee of life and peace.
   The Constitution cannot be drowned in the blood of the Haitian people.
   For that reason, tonight I am resigning in order to avoid a bloodbath.
   I accept to leave, with the hope that there will be life and not death.
   Life for everyone
   Death for no one
   In respect for the Constitution
   and in the fact of respecting the Constitution,
   Haiti will have life and peace.
   ------
   TRANSLATION FROM CREOLE DONE FOR THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:
   I took an oath to respect and have the Constitution respected.
   This evening, 28 February 2004, I am still determined to respect and
have the Constitution respected.
   The Constitution is the guarantee of life and peace.
   The Constitution cannot be drowned in the blood of the Haitian people.
   For that reason, if tonight it is my resignation that will avoid a