19840: (Orenstein) RE: 19830: (Chamberlain) re 19821 Vander-Zaag, Orenstein (fwd)

From: katie orenstein <katie@orenstein.com>

I'm against assuming!  So I read through the website's links, and see that
"the democracy sector" includes 3 subtiers- (1) strengthening media; (2)
supporting judicial reform and human rights; and (3) developing new party
leadership. I also see that in FY 2003  2 million was designated for
"democracy and governance," of which $875,000 was designated for "party
assisting".  In FY 2004, 2.9 million was designated for D & G, of which
$1,300,000 was for "party assisting".  The site notes that the priciple
contractors are NDI, IRI and Fondation Heritage, DNO, CID Gallup
(subs)-whatever subs means.  But I'm still curious to know how much money
was channeled through IRI, how much went to the opposition, etc - if anyone
can tell us.  The website at which the above figures appear:
http://www.usaid.gov/policy/budget/cbj2004/latin_america_caribbean/haiti.pdf