19930: gepsiem: Re: 19922: Dreyfuss: RE: 19707: Harvey: What's the opposition platform on the economy? (fwd)

From: gepsiem@bellsouth.net

I'm with you on this one and would like to begin by offering the following ideas for thought and discussion.  Perhaps list-serv members who are affiliated with a university can explore the feasibility of hosting a bi-partisan national conference on Haiti through which we attempt to identify and map the country's assets; identify potential levers in support of building/shoring up its institutions; identifying potential public/private partnerships; identify the infrastructure projects that constitute an immediate urgency; explore the development potential/options of port cities; plan create a Haitian-American volunteer corps made up of individuals with the willingness and expertise to provide technical assistance in the public sector; other issues related to the environment, healthcare, housing and education and I can go on and on.

We should also call for/urge an international donors conference at a later time.
The point is that we have an opportunity to advocate for and recommend a number of actions on the part of the Bush Administration, the United Nations and other members of the international community.

I suspect that right at this time, many are looking for the leadership of Haitian Americans.  Let's seize this moment!

Gepsie Metellus