19943: Allen: Subject: 19908: (Chamberlain) US to pay Haitian Coast Guard to curb refugees (fwd)

From: joseph allen <jaallen1@bellsouth.net>

    I am not blaming the united States for taking steps to insure that there is not a new refugee crisis, but from a Haitian perspective, allowing the US to make the payroll of the Coast Guard, is not acceptable. It creates a bad precedent.
   It is not to say that the US may not give grants for targeted purposes, but by directly paying the Haitian Coast guard, the US becomes the employer and will control them directly.
      I guess this illustrates the enormity of the of our collective failure as a society. I do not know if we are a failed sate, but this makes us look like a failing state.
    I hope that the Haitian officials will address the concerns of the united states without letting us lose one more layer of our sovereignty.
    Joseph A. Allen DDS
    Miami, Fl