19944: Laleau: response to Kathy Grey (fwd)

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Kathy -- It was good to hear from you, and I'm glad Jacmel has not been
terribly disrupted and destroyed. As I was afraid to hear though, the people's
hope in the electoral process has been severely damaged. I'd already heard in
1995 during the pre-election period that people didn't see why to vote -- one
woman in Gonaives told me, assuming that I didn't know anything at all,
"Well, you see, we already had an election, and we elected someone we wanted.
Aristide. And then you see what happened, they made the coup, and overthrew him,
and there was a lot of disorder, and now? Why vote again? --nancy