20017: LOCCM: Re: 20002: radtimes: Washington's Tar Baby (fwd)

From: LOCCM@aol.com

I have been working in and living in Haiti (off and on) since 1971 and for
the last two yeats have yet to meet even one person who wanted President
Aristide to remain in Haiti.  A few years ago they expressed their dissatifaction
quietly but more recently they were open and emphatic.  I am a missionary and
have no right to express opinions about politics in Haiti but what I have
observed is that the plight of the population gets worse every month since the
Lavalas party has been power.  It wasn't the tar baby's fault that brer rabit got
stuck. It was the fox who caused the problem.  Could it be that the "fox" is out
of the hen house now.  Is the United States to blame for the corruption in
Haiti?  Can I complain to someone in Washington D C when I have to bribe someone
in every government office just to get normal business done?  Can I blame
them for the long lines that I have to stand in when "workers" are sitting at
their desks gossiping and waiting for money under the table?  Can I fire off a
letter of complaint every time the police stop me for no reason and insist on
getting
$20 for their fine efforts?  Maybe I am burned out but I get frustrated
thinking about what Haiti could be like as a tourist mecca with plenty of jobs for
everyone.

John ba mwe