20033: Nealy: RE: 19980: Antoine Re: 19939: Nealy Re: 19908: US to pay Haitian Coast Guard to curb refugees (fwd)

From: David Nealy <dlnealy@msn.com>

At the risk of continuing this dialogue too long, let me say:
1. My earlier note reacted to your omission of the risks of massive
emigration by Haitians in boats to reach Miami to escape danger or poverty
in Haiti. In my view, it's not a good risk. Massive immigration from Europe
in earlier times was welcomed generally by the US administrations because
THEN the US needed immigrants to develop and populate this country. Now
rather strict limits on legal immigration are in place.
2. The paying of the Haitian coast guard by the US to discourage such boat
people is more questionable, and raises real questions.  If it can be seen
as benefiting those who take the above risk unwisely, such action might be
rationalized. Paying them directly may perhaps be justified on practical
grounds, given the corruption and lack of transparency in the current
Haitian regime, but it is still a troubling precedent. I hope this
relationship is temporary and short term. Haitians should control and decide
for themselves.
3. Re: the economic vs political motivation for leaving Haiti, that is
relevant under US law for political asylum cases, which were common in the
1990's. I remember working on documents for Haitians asking for this status,
which was very important given their status as "parolees". That distinction
was a legal one, and not a matter of racial or ethnic discrimination.
4. Generally, I agree with you that the US has not treated Haitian refugees
well ("never land" of parolee status a case in point, distinctions between
Haitians and Cubans, etc.), and admit that the current US administration has
been much more sympathetic to the "opposition" than to the large majority of
Haitians who supported  Lavalas initially or to the Aristide administration.
Now, it seems, there is opportunity to take a stand against the criminal
elements among the rebel leaders, get away from the unrealistic expectations
of a political "Savior" and build some institutions with checks and balances
and stability so that Haitians will have a better life. It will require
much, including compromise, cooperation, and renunciation of violence,
beginning with the disarming that must take place so guns will not be the
main source of power in the new Haiti. I'm sure you support the hard work
needed to accomplish that.

Let's agree we're on the same side on most of that.

David

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar – includes FREE pop-up blocking!