20031: Jacmel and other topics

Please post this as from ANONYMOUS.

One of my American friends in Jacmel wrote the following on March 5, with an
update today March 8.

March 5
I've been in daily contact with family, thanks to the internet.  We have
been without electricity during the days, but it is restored in the evening.
Thankfully.  If everything had gone according to (recent) plan, I would have
been in Port au Prince tonight and on a plane home tomorrow. But as the
saying goes "man plans, God laughs."  And so here I am, in Jacmel, with bags
packed and ready to go..next Wednesday..

The roads to Port au Prince are said to be fine.

Things in Jacmel are almost back to normal. Though there is only one topic
of conversation to be heard (though many iterations) the government,
Aristide, the marines, what is next.

There is no question that the presence of the Marines was necessary after
Aristide left. But in light of their dictate and actions, the whole affair
seems to be yet another mess our government (this time under Bush) has
imposed on a country that can not afford and can't really defend against
one.

So much more damage was done in Port au Prince in the 3 days after
Aristide's departure than in the previous days. I have not been there, but
hear from all accounts that it really is a war zone (unlike Jacmel). With
estimated damage at $300 million US and a ridiculous international debt,
this poverty stricken country continues to deteriorate.  Food and gas prices
have already started rising.

With the new fodder to support that Aristide was forced to leave, I hope a
new rebellion does not brew. Today, in Port au Prince, there was a huge
demonstration against the American action in front of the Embassy

A bit of reflection:

The idea of a government in Haiti by and for the people was dream that many
folks held onto, but were doubtful they could realize. I am learning a
tremendous amount  and wondering if this quagmire is escapable or remediable

With the loss of international aid, international workers and tourists
(bringing $ into the economy) combined with the looting and burning (while
mostly in Port au Prince, the destruction effects the entire country, as so
much is centralized there) the country and its people face a huge and
apparently insurmountable task of rebuild. Honestly, I don't know if it
can/will happen. I do know that Haitians themselves contribute to the
instability of the country and the economy. I also know that the
international community has considerably contributed to this state of
affairs and that certainly the devastation of recent days is in a large part
the result of the behavior of the International community. I hope they will
step up to the plate and send appropriate dollars and assistance, through
systems that will reach the people, to help support Haiti's sustenance and
revival.

Folks were explaining to me the "Haitian system" and I was asked, 'do you
see Haiti advancing?'  My answer was 'no.'  Maybe there needs to be a new
Haitian system ... a truly democratic system, and one which will not deviate
from the vision which includes values of respect, inclusion, openness,
fairness, development and sustainability.Maybe things CAN work differently
here.

March 8

I'd also add that the reports are of increased instability in light of all
the news of forcing Aristide to leave.  No one knows what's happening or who
is in charge, and Port au Prince continues to suffer (at least according to
all reports from folks there).

Jacmel remains unique in Haiti....but prices are beginning to soar, and we
do and will have our problems as a result of the chaos.  Nothing compared to
the rest of the country, but still problematic.

Electricity continues to be rationed, though gas has been delivered.
There also seems to be a town wide problem with (public works) water
delivery.

May peace prevail.