20055: Esser: ANC: We Cannot Support the Violent Removal of Democratically-Elected Leaders (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

African National Congress, South Africa
http://www.anc.org.za/

March 5, 2004

WE CANNOT SUPPORT THE VIOLENT REMOVAL OF DEMOCRATICALLY-ELECTED LEADERS
by Mavivi Myakayaka-Manzini*

Introduction

On Sunday, February 29, a United States plane flew President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide out of Haiti to the Central African Republic.
He had neither requested to be moved out of Haiti nor asked that he
should be transported to the Central African Republic.

Rather, for some days before the banishment of the elected President
of Haiti, leaders of the US government had joined the French
government and the Haitian opposition parties in demanding that
President Aristide should resign. In this regard, whether
internationally or not, these governments which had differed sharply
over the question of Iraq, sided with groups that had treasonably
taken up arms to overthrow the democratically elected government of
Haiti and subvert the constitutional order.

When it flew President Aristide out of Haiti, having closely
cooperated with the French government on planning and executing this
banishment, the US government was giving expression to its resolve to
effect regime change in Haiti, regardless of the wishes of the
government and people of Haiti.

What occasioned this action by the US and French governments was the
campaign of destabilisation carried out by armed gangs that were
killing people, hunting down police officers, looting and burning
buildings, all in an attempt to overthrow the democratically elected
government led by President Aristide.

Amnesty International (AI) had repeatedly sounded the alarm about the
armed groups that had launched a so-called rebellion. For instance,