20156: (Hermantin)Sun-Sentinel-Measure your week by Phillip Brutus' and Yolly Roberson' (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Legislators: A house divided, views on Haiti united
Published March 9, 2004

TALLAHASSEE · Think you've had it rough lately?

Measure your week by Phillip Brutus' and Yolly Roberson's last seven days.

The two have seen their homeland shattered. Been steamrolled on a daily
basis by the opposition at their jobs. And now, Brutus and Roberson, who
were divorced in 2002, are working in the same place. Divorced colleagues.

Can it get much tougher?

Brutus, 46, is the state representative from District 108 in North Miami,
the first Haitian elected to the Florida Legislature. Roberson, 48, is the
new representative from District 104 in Miami, the second Haitian to serve
in the Legislature.

They've had a difficult enough time staying focused in the first week of the
legislative session. Particularly an opening week that political insiders
say was as contentious and difficult as any in memory.

But for these two, there's also been the heartache of seeing their homeland
spin out of control. The worry about the well-being of family and friends.
The concern about the political rifts that continue to split their Haitian
constituents.

"It's been overwhelming," Brutus says.

His mother still lives in Port-au-Prince, near Aristide's former residence.

"When I consider the violence that's gripping the capital, and she's in the
middle of it ..." he says. "But I firmly believe that everything happens for
a reason."

He hasn't heard from her in two weeks, but believes she's OK. Or as OK as
any elderly woman could be in a country lacking the most basic of services,
food and clean water.

Roberson, who came to the United States at age 16, has only a half-brother
still in Haiti.

"It's amazing," she says, "when you're 16, you're uprooted from your country
and dropped here. And you survive by dealing with things day by day. And
nothing ever really changes. You still have to deal with things one at a
time."

Despite living in the United States for 32 years, Roberson's ties to her
homeland are as deep as her political ancestry. Roberson's grandfather was a
state representative in Haiti. Her father was a mayor and county
commissioner in the Plateau Central region.

"He guided me throughout the campaign, throughout my life," she says, the
thought bringing unexpected tears.

Levius Roberson died in October. He saw his daughter win the election, but
never saw her take her seat at the Capitol.

On the departure of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, both believe
the international community needs to offer assistance, but leave the
governing to Haitians.

"Because the CARICOM [Caribbean] countries have said that they would not
send troops, that means there will only be troops from countries such as the
United States, Canada, France and Chile," Brutus says. "This may complicate
matters because it's going to be clear these are foreign troops. You have a
situation where, in 2004, we're celebrating Haitian independence from France
and French troops, flying French flags, are in Haiti."

"I am no friend of Aristide's," Roberson says. "But it's time to let the
democratic process take root. I would have liked for the international
community to have come in and provided peace and help the country prepare
for the election in two years."

Both said they would love to go back to Haiti to offer their expertise in
establishing democratic institutions. But both were just as adamant that
Haitians, not the United States, need to control those decisions.

And then there's their unique situation as ex-spouses serving in the same
statehouse.

"I just see Mr. Brutus as another legislator," Roberson says.

"I keep telling our daughter [11-year-old Karamie] that she should write a
book," says Brutus. "She's probably the only kid in America whose divorced
mom and dad are serving in the same legislature."

Ralph De La Cruz can be reached at rdelacruz@sun-sentinel.com or
954-356-4727.