20396: Esser: Did U.S. oust Haiti's Aristide? (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com

March 14, 2004

Did U.S. oust Haiti's Aristide?
By Gail Schoettler

Impoverished and corrupt, Haiti nonetheless had a democratically
elected president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide. A mini-revolution against
him, led by a drug-dealing police chief, has placed this destitute
country at the center of another international firestorm. But beyond
the trauma still gripping this tiny country is the question of the
U.S. role in Aristide's departure. Was it one of skullduggery or
rescue?

Aristide claimed, in an interview with Democracy Now, that he was
kidnapped by U.S. troops and forced into exile in the Central African
Republic (CAR). A delegation of Americans who tried to meet with
Aristide was not allowed to enter the palace, which is either his
refuge or his prison. Armed men threatened international reporters
attending the CAR foreign minister's press conference about Aristide.
So if Aristide is in the CAR by his own choice, why would these
repressive measures be necessary?

The Bush administration hotly denies the kidnapping allegations,
saying that Aristide voluntarily resigned as president of Haiti and
sought exile. Aristide claims he was forced by U.S. officials to sign
the resignation document. Fueling the fire, Vice President Dick
Cheney called Aristide's accusations "ridiculous," and added that the
Haitian president had "overstayed his welcome" in Haiti.

It looks like President Bush and company have blundered into another
nasty international fracas. And this one has serious implications for
our country, which is so outspokenly committed to democratization
around the world. Aristide is not exactly a trustworthy character.
After he was driven out of Haiti once before, U.S. troops reinstated
him to his presidency because he was the democratically elected head
of state. But Aristide's leadership has been inept and corrupt,
keeping his people in devastating poverty. Nonetheless, he was
elected president yet again by a majority of voters.

The bigger issue here is whether we really believe in democracy or
only in those democracies that meet our fancy. When there was a
short-lived coup against President Hugo Chavez, the democratically
elected president of Venezuela, the Bush administration jumped too
hastily to support the new government. The coup regime lasted only a
few days, embarrassing President Bush and calling attention to our
over-eager recognition of a Venezuelan government installed by force,
not elections.

Neither Aristide nor Chavez is a great leader. Both have resorted to
demagoguery when required for political survival. Neither has
provided political or economic stability to his beleaguered people.
But do we have the right to oust an elected head of state just
because he is a lousy leader? By what right do we tell a duly elected
president that he has overstayed his welcome and therefore deserves
to go? And, if what Aristide charges is true, by what right did we
force him to leave his country?

If we are going to promote democracy and democratic values around the
world, we must live them at home. Haiti is, indeed, a messy place and
a constant irritant to the United States. It deserves better
political leadership than it has ever known. But when an incompetent
person is democratically elected to a position of power, the United
States, as a global champion of democracy, must support the choice of
the voters. We can argue, pressure, cajole and persuade, but we
cannot arbitrarily remove a democratically elected leader.

Given the implications of the Haitian tumult - the potential for
prolonged and bloody civil strife, the importance of living by our
own principles as an example to the world - the U.S. Congress should
look into President Aristide's allegations of forcible removal from
Haiti.

The American people need to know if our government acted honorably or
shamefully. We have learned the hard way that cover-ups undermine
democracy. Let's make sure we aren't doing that again in full view of
the entire world.

Gail Schoettler is a former U.S. ambassador, Colorado lieutenant
governor and treasurer, Democratic nominee for governor and Douglas
County school board member.

All contents Copyright 2004 The Denver Post
.