20509: Crosby: Seeking expert testimony for Haitian asylum case (fwd)

From: Jason Crosby <jc3954a@american.edu>

Dear Professor Corbett,

We are student attorneys at American University's International Human Rights Law Clinic in Washington, DC.  We are currently representing an asylum seeker from Haiti.  We are looking for an expert to write a letter in support of our client's asylum claim.

Our client was a member of the OPL, a political group opposed to the rule of President Aristide and the Lavalas party.  She was active in the Cap-Haitian branch of the group from 1998 to 2002.  She was arrested, imprisoned and tortured, and her house was burned down.

We are especially interested in receiving information from someone who has knowledge about OPL activities in Cap-Haitian during this time period.  Additionally, due to the recent departure of Aristide, we also seek information or testimony regarding the current and continuing danger to opponents of Aristide and Lavalas in Haiti, or additional reasons why it would be unsafe for our client to return to Haiti.

If you cannot help us by providing an expert letter, if you know of any one who could provide this information, or any other sources we could consult, please let us know.  Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post this message to your Haiti mailing list.  We can be contacted at 202-274-4147, or by e-mail at jason.crosby@american.edu or richard_stephani@hotmail.com.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Jason Crosby and Stephanie Richard