20575: Morrell: Re: 20550: Hess: gallup poll (fwd)

From: James Morrell <james.morrell@inxil.com>

Re: Doug Hess's question about a Gallup poll in Haiti 2000-2002. The U.S.
embassy sponsored a Gallup poll over that period. As far as I am aware, it
was not published but retained for internal use. At an on-the-record
conference of the Inter-American Dialogue in Washington in November 2002,
an embassy official summarized its results. I scribbled them down somewhere
and will send when I can find. The gist was that support for Aristide had
dropped from a majority in May 2001 to teens or single digits by the second
half of 2002. The American official cited those results to urge the
Democratic Convergence representatives present at the conference to take
the electoral route given their improved prospects.