20637: (hermantin)Miami-Herald-Prime minister visits cradle of uprising (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sun, Mar. 21, 2004

HAITI | A NEW REGIME

Prime minister visits cradle of uprising

Haiti's new prime minister makes his first official visit to Gonaives, where
the uprising against Jean-Bertrand Aristide broke out.

BY MICHAEL A.W. OTTEY

mottey@herald.com

GONAIVES, Haiti - Some view Haitian rebel groups as thugs, but on Saturday
Prime Minister Gerard Latortue called them ``freedom fighters.''

Latortue, in his 15th day as prime minister, visited Gonaives, where he was
born and reared, and was received with cheers.

Latortue noted that unrest in Gonaives was the beginning of the end for both
former dictator Jean Claude Duvalier and former President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide.

''The same people who sent Duvalier out sent Aristide out,'' Latortue told
reporters after emerging from a U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter that brought
him from the capital.

Latortue, who was born in the Raboteau slum where rebels planned and
launched attacks against police and Aristide supporters, said he long
supported the action of the people of Gonaives against Aristide.

He said while some were quick to label them thugs, ``I was telling everybody
they were not. They were freedom fighters.''

In an adjacent room, Peter Métayer, a brother of slain gang leader Amiot
Métayer, handed over a cache of rifles and handguns in a move to signal that
the rebels would turn over their weapons.

Meanwhile, French troops continued to move into Gonaives to help the Haitian
National Police reestablish order.

At the Plaza of Independence, Latortue addressed a large crowd that pressed
in, encroaching on the stage to get a closer view.

Latortue began by requesting a moment of silence for Amiot Métayer, who was
assassinated, his followers charge, on orders from Aristide.

During Latortue's speech, the crowd broke into chants, including ''Arrest
Neptune!'' -- in reference to former Prime Minister Yvon Neptune, who served
in Aristide's administration.

In the audience, hopping up and down as she cheered, was 17-year-old Sophia
Sylvain, a student.

''I feel there's going to be change,'' she said. ``I had to be here to see
him and hear him.''

Francois Justin, 43, an out-of-work chauffeur, said the prime minister
should concentrate on creating jobs.

''I look for work and I can't find any,'' he said.

Justin said Aristide took to the same stage several years ago and made many
promises he did not keep.

''Aristide gave us a lot of promises,'' Justin said. ``Now we're going to do
the same with this guy. If he starts messing up, we'll get rid of him,
too.''

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money!
http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp