20660: Corbett: Personal attacks on the list

Folks,

In a recent post I missed a SERIOUS attack on another poster and that was
a bad error on my part.  I apologize for it, but the post was posted and
that damage I can't undo.

I do plan to make one change in list procedures that might help. I hope.

I will be much harsher, nearly absolute, in flat out rejecting posts which
deal with the previous list-poster by name or implication.

If you disagree with a post I want there to be the freedom to attack THE
CONTENT OF THE POST.  But this will not mean the freedom to personally
address the poster, telling him or her what you want him or her to do (you
should do such and such; or why don't you... ) Basically, leave the person
100% out of it and address the ISSUES, the CLAIMS which you disagree with.

In the past I have tried to reject posts where the indivdual was attacked
in some clear way.  I think that the recent post indicates that's too
loose.  I will be MUCH MUCH stricter in the future.  Just leave the poster
our of it and deal with the post.  Flat out.  Otherwise the posts will
simply be deleted.

I haven't the time to reply to you individually or to fight with you about
the rule.  If you don't like it, then just don't post.

However, I don't want to reject CONTENT when the content is about Haiti as
long as it doesn't deal with someone personally for what that person posts
on the list.

I do have the e-mail name or the name the person uses in the subject line.
If you know you don't like the posts of some person who posts, just delete
that person's posts and don't bother with them.

I haven't the ability, time nor interest to demand that people use their
own names.  I don't PERSONALLY know more than a few dozen people on this
list.  I haven't met more than a few dozen ever.  I haven't a clue if
people who do use names are using REAL names and are who they say they
are.  I just use the e-mail name that the post carries.  I haven't any
idea how I would ever know who people are, and haven't the time nor the
interest to find out.

I have no names connected with the list at all.  E-mail addresses are
subscribed, and I don't have any access to that list at all.  I set the
list up that way with Webster University in 1999 and like not knowing.
I see no reason for me to have access to the list.

However, I will work harder yet in trying to keep personal attacks off the
list, and I very very sorry that the offensive recent post slipped by.  I
will try to be more vigilant in the future, and would welcome you to point
out lapses to me when they occur.

Thanks,

Bob Corbett