20683: (Chamberlain) re: 20676: Antoine: Re: Latortue praises rebels (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> From: Guy S. Antoine <webmaster@haitiforever.com>

Quote:
Aristide finally had Metayer arrested last year after months of pressure
from the OAS, which demanded he be tried for allegedly burning homes of
opponents. Gang members rammed a tractor into the prison to free him in
September, and Metayer's bullet-riddled and mutilated body was found days
later. [End of quote]

Whoa, Nellie! (can I borrow the expression, Kathy?)

I am not usually that picky, but the chronology related in this AP
story, from the "mainstream press" and forwarded by Greg Chamberlain,
made me a bit dizzy: what year? which September? and how many days later?

______________

Of course this chronology is wrong on all three points, as Guy says.

But no need to crow about the mistake.  My point has always been simply
that the "militant" or openly "propaganda" media (the stories with all the
abusive adjectives) are far worse offenders, either being wilfully
inaccurate (adjusting facts to fit the theories) or simply not thinking
factual accuracy is important.  This is plain for all to see, though the
readers of the militant press are usually not familiar enough with Haiti to
spot the errors.

The factual mistakes in the AP story cited are inexcusable, but it would be
unfair (and inaccurate) to say they are frequent.

        Greg Chamberlain