20704: Esser: Another word to Mr Latortue (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com

Editorial
March 22, 2004

Another word to Mr Latortue

This newspaper, as we expect is the case with all well-thinking and
democracy-minded persons, is saddened by the turn of events in Haiti.
For the second time in a dozen years last month, an experiment in
democracy in that country was cruelly aborted.

But while we did not expect that the coup d'etat against
Jean-Bertrand Aristide would be reversed, we had hoped that the
newly-installed government of Mr Gerard Latortue would send early,
and clear, signals of intent to take Haiti back on a track of
democracy and reconciliation.

Haiti, it is obvious, needs to break this cycle of violence and
instability if it is to begin to deliver to its people, and the
others to whom it offered inspiration, the great promise of 1804 when
slaves defeated slave owners and the armies of France to declare a
nation that was to have its foundation in the ideals of equality and
respect.

Democracy, however, demands a politics based on discourse,
negotiation and compromise, as well as political institutions which
are sustained and predictable, with all participants adhering to the
same rules.

It for these reasons that we believed the Caribbean Community
(Caricom) initiative on the Haitian crisis offered the best hope for
starting the process towards a sustained democracy in Haiti. Its
essential core was a demand for respect for democratic institutions,
rather than rewarding violence.

Unfortunately, the Caricom initiative was undermined and derailed. We
had hoped, having been led to believe this, that the remnants of the
Caricom process would have be salvaged and implemented in a fashion
to ensure the launch of a new Haitian democracy.

We are sure that we would be forgiven by Mr Latortue and his key
backers if, at this stage, we declare ourselves to be less than
sanguine about the direction of his interim administration and to
suggest to Mr Latortue's critical backers that he begin to take stock.

We urge this reflection out of fear that Haiti could descend into a
sectarian conflict which will not only deepen marginalisation of that
country, but further impair the fragile stability of its Caribbean
neighbours and potential partners.

We have previously expressed our disappointment at Mr Latortue's
precipitate declaration of a freeze in relations with Jamaica and
Caricom because of Kingston's decision to provide temporary refuge to
Mr Aristide and his family. It was a decision, it seemed to us, of
peeve and hubris rather than reflection, thought and analysis and the
clear appreciation of the necessity of small states to create
coalitions to provide insulation against the tumult of the
international environment. Or, in Haiti's case, Caricom can help it
in doing the basics.

We were also surprised at Mr Latortue's partisan tones about recent
developments in Haiti, when as an interim leader hoping to build
broad consensus in a deeply cleavaged society, we expected a more
measured and soothing approach. Our concern was that Mr Latortue's
rhetoric would serve to alienate Mr Aristide's supporters and his
Lavalas movement, thus making reconciliation all the more difficult.
He further weakened the possibilities for creating goodwill by
failing to invite Lavalas sympathisers to his Cabinet.

But perhaps the most worrying development of all is how Mr Latortue,
on Saturday in the town of Gonaives, plunged into the political fray
with the seeming certitude of a man who believes that he enjoys his
own mandate and is clear on which side he stands.

He shared a platform with rebel leaders, praised and offered a
minute's silence for a slain gang leader Amiot Metayer, and expressed
sympathy only for the anti-Aristide partisans who died in Haiti's
conflict.

This does not bode well for Haiti, neither does the fact that it
seems that it is only Aristide supporters who are the ones being
arrested for crimes - in and outside of Haiti.
Haiti's crisis needs even-handedness, delicacy and thoughtful
interventions, not partisan divisiveness. It has to move beyond the
old culture where the winner takes all.
Perhaps those on whom Mr Latortue relies for his legitimacy need to
have a quiet word with him. Hopefully, there are things to be
salvaged in Haiti, even the Caricom initiative. Which remains the
best plan in town.
.