20699: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Guns everywhere (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, Mar. 22, 2004

HAITI

Guns everywhere

BY KATHIE KLARREICH

I recently asked someone in Port-au-Prince to send me by overnight courier a
document. The process was delayed be- cause my friend was forced back by
random gunfire and outbreaks from armed demonstrators. ''Yikes,'' said a
local friend. ``To think I complain about Miami traffic.''

Bullets in Haiti are as plentiful as vehicles on I-95, and bullets have been
flying with the same reckless abandon. There have been more than 200 people
killed in the violence leading up to and following the Feb. 29 departure of
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and armed thugs still patrol the inner
alleys and outer towns, despite the presence of more than 2,700
international troops. There's little chance of stability unless and until
there's a real, honest, competent and well-trained security force.

Haiti's problem is not the lack of a security force but rather the presence
of a parallel one that has neutralized, undermined, corrupted or usurped the
official institution. For a brief period, following the 1915-1934 U.S.
occupation during which the Americans created the Haitian military, there
was relative stability. Shortly after Francois Duvalier was elected
president in 1957, he created the nefarious Tonton Macoute, a private
militia that terrorized the population and killed tens of thousands. The
system of personal henchmen whose sole loyalty was to a paycheck coming from
an individual, not a state institution, became so ingrained that it is today
as much a part of the culture as the noonday meal of rice and beans.

When Aristide returned to Haiti in 1994 after a 1991 military coup, he
immediately disbanded the Haitian army, exiling generals to overseas posts
and cooperating with the 20,000 U.S. troops in an attempt to disarm the
population with a weapons buy-back program.

Some men turned in old, rusty World War II weapons, but many more soldiers
hid their caches, hoping that someday they again could swagger under the
weight of their M16s. With their former general, Herard Abraham, newly
appointed as minister of defense, their day could soon come. Said one
gold-capped rebel who goes by the name Faustin: ``The Army is a solution to
the crisis. We haven't been divided; it was the president who divided us.
Without an army, we'll have another 20 years of hell.''

The only official security force is the 3,500-member remnant of the police
force that Aristide created in 1995 -- weak, ineffective and mainly corrupt.
The United States poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into preparations
for this first-time body but neglected to take into account the extreme
differences between U.S. and Haitian reality.

It supplied dozens of new cars for officers who didn't know how to drive. It
trained men in Guantánamo, Cuba, rather than in the remote, primitive
neighborhoods that the men would patrol. It neglected to include an
officer's training component; consequently, that when Aristide began
plucking people from the general pool to become supervisors, their moral
authority was only to him, not the institution.

Ever mindful of lurking enemies, Aristide also armed loyalists. Some turned
against him and aligned themselves with the former military, increasing
their weapons stock from the Dominican Republic and South Florida. Others
remain devoted and hopeful that Aristide will eventually return. Both sides
are prepared to wage a civil war if the international community doesn't take
its promise to help seriously.

There's no excuse for the United States, France, Canada and the United
Nations not to get it right this time, though their job is going to be
tougher because of greater division, increased corruption, drug money and
more guns.

Kathie Klarreich, a freelance writer, reports on Haitian issues.

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by
ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn