20774: Senou: One more chance (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

One more chance

Regardless on where you stand on the Haitian Saga, we
all can agree that Haiti deserves a second chance. In
1986, we asked for a second chance, in 1994 we asked
for a second chance and now in 2004 we are asking you
again for a second chance. How many second chances and
would Haitians give it to the mere country?

This year is not an ordinarily year, it is the year
that marks our 200 years of freedom. We shall not play
on anyone emotion and we shall not bring divisive
issues. We shall start today and move forward one step
at the time.

The new government of Haiti is filled of Technocrats
and these folks have the abilities, the capacities and
the skills needed to turn things around if they want
to; now the one billion dollars question: would they
deliver on Time or would they continue doing what
previous government have been doing for the past 200
years: persecuting elements of the previous regimes.

Before moving forward, I call for a general amnesty
for all crimes committed from 1804 up to now.  Easy to
say …
Without a general amnesty, it would impossible to
force the Rebel to lay down their weapons. I call on
this current government to find a way to reconcile the
Haitian people.

Ladies and Gentlemen:  I strongly believe that Haiti
needs to put in place a Reconciliation Commission
similar to the post apartheid era in South Africa.
Those who had committed crime shall face that
commission and be granted Amnesty. Everything shall
remain seal for next 50 years or until this generation
is no more. The members of that Commission shall be
between the ages of 75 to 100. And there shall be
severe consequences to anyone who leaks any
information collected during the hearing.

Let’s give everyone the opportunity to come clean;
let’s forgive everyone and let’s give everyone a
second chance.

This new approach is much easier and it will give the
justice department the time to retrain the magistrate
and train more civil servants. In a democracy there
cannot be selective persecution. It was wrong under
the previous regimes and it would be wrong if this
current regime continues the same practice.

Folks, we need to start from zero and reset the clock.
Remember, revenge will bring more revenge. We have
been doing it for the past 200 years and we see the
result; now it is time to change course. Let’s try
something new. South Africa is a good example and we
shall follow it.

Again, we have two choices: we can give a general
amnesty and give everyone a second chance or we can
continue what we have been doing for the past 200
years.

At this present moment, the current Haitian government
and the council of sages have to make an ultimate
decision. It is not going to be easy but a general
amnesty across the board is the right thing to do in
this crucial moment.

I believe people can change and we need to give to
many the opportunity to prove themselves.
The first question: how to deal with someone who
killed my parents, my children, my wife or husband, my
brothers, my sisters, my love ones and my friends.

It is a tough question! It is one of the toughest
questions that a Haitian citizen will ever face in
his/her entire life. Remember, 2004 is the year of
Engagement and Compassion. Now, we need to forgive
others and show some compassion for the country.  A
general amnesty across the board for all crimes
committed since 1804 up to now may not be very popular
but it is the right thing to do.

Again, Haiti is looking for a leader not someone
animated with revenge but someone like Nelson Mandela.
When he got out of jail. He shacked hands with the
person who used to mistreat him. When he became
president, he did not hunt down the elements of the
former regime instead He created a Reconciliation
Commission that was led by Bishop Desmond Tutu. Many
expected a Bloodbath when the majority took power in
South Africa; the biggest leader of all time, Mr.
Mandela had to fight his own regime to make them
understand of this new era. Apartheid is over, now we
are living in a democratic society. Today, Haiti is
heading at full speed toward democracy, let’s again
follow the path of Nelson Mandela.

Haiti today needs a leader with vision who would like
to see a durable change. We are lucky to have Canada,
France, the United States, the European Community and
many other friendly countries in our side.  We shall
maintain our friendship with Cuba, Jamaica, Libya,
Japan, Taiwan, China, and many other countries in the
world. We shall work hard to regain our place in world
of nations.

!!!!!  Flash!!!  Flash!!!
The Atlanta Convention: June 25-26, you are invited
Theme: Linking Haitian Nationals, Haitian
Organizations and Friends of Haiti
Register online at http://www.hcronline.org

Joseph Alfred
Founder/CEO