20869: Birdsall re Union-busting at Ouanaminthe (fwd)

From: cary birdsall <cary_birdsall@yahoo.com>

It wouldn't hurt for

Michael Kobori
Director, Global Code of Conduct
Levi Strauss & Co.
Email: mkobori@levi.com

to hear from other folk interested in hearing his reply to Mr.Arthur's query. He will certainly hear from me.

from 20843: (Arthur) Union-busting at Ouanaminthe:

...Since then, we understand that far from resolving the situation, the
representatives of Grupo M have prevaricated, and reneged on a promise
to issue a final decision on the status of the dismissed workers. This tactic is
clearly designed to pressure the dismissed workers to accept their severance
pay, thereby accepting their status as fired workers, and, in so doing, impede a
legal action against the company for unfair dismissal.Without pay for nearly four weeks, the living situation of the fired workers and their dependents is critical. In the opinion of the Haiti Support Group, the Grupo M management's disgusting and cynical ploy to take advantage of poverty-stricken workers and their dependents reflects very badly on the main contractor at Codevi -Levi Strauss & Co....