21066: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-Choir delivers positive impact through music (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sat, Apr. 03, 2004

MUSIC

Choir delivers positive impact through music

BY ERIN MALLANTS RODRIGUEZ

erinrodriguez@earthlink.net

It's a choir that's growing spiritually and physically -- one song at a
time.

The Haitian Community Choir, which will perform Friday night at the
Candlelight Memorial Service in Liberty City (marking the 36th anniversary
of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination), started with about a dozen
or so youngsters during the summer of 2001. That's when Danielle Pyton, 22,
and Gamaliel Fleurantin, 18, put their heads together.

''My dad is a choir director -- so music is a family thing. Every last one
of us was brought up with an instrument in our hands,'' said Pyton. ``We
came up with the idea to start a youth choir.''

The group ranges in age from 14 to 23. Many of the members' parents sing in
the Haitian Mass Choir, which is led by Pyton's father, Daniel, who teaches
music at the Pyton Music Institute in Miami. His niece, Jennifer Sanon, a
senior at New World School of the Arts, was selected as part of an elite
group of student musicians to perform in a series of concerts leading up to
last year's Grammy Awards.

'Lots of Haitian churches don't have a youth choir, so we thought `if our
parents can do it, then we can, too,' '' Fleurantin said.

BIG NUMBERS

Today, the Haitian Community Choir has grown to about 60 members. The group
has its own musicians who not only sing, but play instruments ranging from
the bass guitar, saxophone and horns to the drums and keyboards. Each
Saturday at 1:30 p.m., the group spends two hours practicing at Prince of
Peace Church of God, 210 NE 119th St., in North Miami.

''We recruit people at rallies, churches all throughout the community --
mostly by word of mouth,'' said Fleurantin, a senior at Norland Senior High
School who is a drum major in the band and plans to study music education at
Florida A&M University. ``Haiti is going through a lot right now, so if
people see us perform, and we have something we can call our own, it's
hope.''

Pyton, who plays the viola, the piano and the bass guitar, says that
although the name of the group may imply it's only for Haitians, that's not
so.

''We're looking for whoever has the passion to sing for the Lord,'' she
said. ``Right now all of our members are Haitian, but we are open to
everyone.''

Fleurantin adds, ``We are trying to become multicultural. We want people
from all demographics and different churches.''

The choir's oldest member, William Pyton, 23, says the choir gives some
teens a way to change their lives.

''It's a group that's trying to make a positive difference by creating a
positive environment -- keeping kids out of trouble by getting them to grow
spiritually,'' Pyton said. ``Some who tend to come in have a bad attitude,
but they become mellow because of the music and the environment.''

William Pyton, who is majoring in music at Florida Memorial College and
plans to teach music one day, says being a part of the choir has taught him
some valuable lessons.

''It has helped me develop my people skills by performing,'' said Pyton, who
plays the keyboard. ``It's taught me a lot of patience having to deal with
kids younger than myself who have different attitudes and characteristics.''

DIVERSE REPERTOIRE

The choir performs songs in English, Creole and French at several churches
and rallies. It recently performed at Soup Joumou Unity Day, the City of
Miami's signature event for the Haitian Bicentennial Celebration.

On April 10, the Haitian Community Choir will perform in round 3 of the
Gospel Talent Show at the Polish American Club of Miami. And May 29, it's on
to another performance at Staton Memorial Baptist Church in North Miami.

Fleurantin says the group prides itself on singing not just in three
languages, but in many styles.

''We sing gospel, old spiritual hymns, R&B songs -- whatever we need to,''
he said. 'The reaction? A lot of people take us more seriously. One of the
biggest things when we go places to sing is that people say, `Wow, you have
something good going on.' It's like they're in shock, but they're so
proud.''

    email this       print this

Premium!