21100: Slavin comments on "Roussan Camille," a film by Mario Delatour (fwd)

From: JPS390@aol.com

 I only got to see three movies at the NYU Haiti film series, which closed
 last night, but it was an "only in New York" event -- an exhaustive and
 innovative collection, and with the exception of the opening night gala,
 absolutely free. I am a disgruntled neighbor of NYU, but the university's
 Institute of African-American Affairs and the Africana Studies Program --
 the prime organizers of the film series -- make significant contributions
 to the city's intellectual life, especially for those with interests or
 close ties to the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa.

 I made sure to see "Roussan Camille," made by filmmaker Mario Delatour.
 It tells the biography of a mid-20th century Haitian poet, Roussan
 Camille, and chronicles a belle epoch era. "Roussan Camille" features
 mind-boggling footage of Port-au-Prince in the 1940s and 1950s – one
 marvels at the city's infrastructure, beauty, and, yes, urban plan -
 three concepts that make absolutely no connection to the PauP of today,
 or of the past two decades (perhaps longer). One memory is of a boulevard
 of almond trees along what is today route Carrefour. But the film also
 has the most mouthwatering, panoramic contemporary shots of la ville
 Jacmel and the Jacmel-Marigot coast ––  a lot of it shot from the veranda
 of Manoir Alexandra –– lovely, rich, breaktaking montages. Perhaps the
 film's strongest aspect is that it's an authentic tribute the country.

Patrick

J.P. Slavin
New York