21113: (Chamberlain) Powell-Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By GEORGE GEDDA

   PORT-AU-PRINCE, April 5 (AP) -- Secretary of State Colin Powell gave
assurances Monday of full U.S. support for Haiti's interim government but
said democracy cannot flourish until politically motivated private armies
lay down their weapons.
   "Without disarmament, Haiti's democracy will be at risk," Powell said at
a news conference with Haiti's interim prime minister, Gerard Latortue.
Latortue told Powell that all of Haiti's political parties agree that
municipal, legislative and presidential elections should be held in 2005.
   Powell said prospects are good for sending a U.N.-sponsored peacekeeping
force to replace the U.S.-led multinational force that arrived shortly
after the Feb. 29 departure of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.
   Almost 2,000 U.S. troops are serving in Haiti and are expected to leave
in June, along with Canadian and Chilean troops. Their combined total is
about 3,600 troops.
   Most Caribbean leaders have refused to participate in the U.S.-led
international force, angry that the Security Council refused their urgent
plea to send troops in time to save Aristide, Haiti's first democratically
elected leader. Trinidad has said it may send troops to Haiti.
   Powell rejected proposals by some of Haiti's Caribbean neighbors for an
inquiry into circumstances of Aristide's sudden departure five weeks ago.
   "I don't think any purpose would be served by such an inquiry," Powell
said. "Haiti was on the verge of a total security collapse."
   "On the last weekend in February, I think we averted a bloodbath," he
said.
   Aristide and many Caribbean leaders allege the United States coerced
Aristide into leaving. The Bush administration insists that Aristide left
Haiti voluntarily. Caribbean countries have not recognized the interim
government, arguing that Aristide is Haiti's legitimate leader based on
elections held in 2000. Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., says Aristide was the
victim of a U.S.-sponsored coup d'etat.
   Powell pledged to help Haiti's new government earn recognition within
the 15-member Caribbean Community.
   Aristide initially took up residence in the Central African Republic. He
went to Jamaica about three weeks ago for family reasons, the Jamaican
government said. Little has been heard from Aristide since his arrival
there.
   U.S. officials have pressed Latortue in recent days not to give
government positions to leaders of armed groups who have criminal
backgrounds.
   About 10 days after his appointment as prime minister, Latortue appeared
in public with some insurgent leaders and hailed them as freedom fighters.
   Powell said Latortue assured him Haitian government posts won't go to
criminals or human rights violators.
   "I'm sure, as we go forward, any names that are known to us who are
involved in wrongdoing or acts of violence we will make known," Powell
said.
   Latortue announced Monday he would create a commission modeled after
South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission to deal with past crimes
and grievances. He didn't give details.
   Latortue said he pleaded with Powell for more international aid.
   "Haiti is in a state of total bankruptcy," Latortue said. "We're asking
international donors to assist us with some of the urgent tasks at hand,
particularly with creating opportunities with jobs."
   Powell said $9 million will be released for a special Organization of
American States mission. The United States would spend an estimated $55
million on economic and humanitarian assistance this year in Haiti, he
said.
   "Our purpose is to help the people and leadership of Haiti to make a new
beginning and to build a future of hope for Haiti," he said.
   Powell briefly visited an AIDS clinic partially financed by the U.S.
Agency for International Development before heading into more talks with
government leaders at the National Palace.