21397: Nlbo: National Coalition for Haitian Rights (NCHR) conference in New York

From: Nlbo@aol.com

Saturday, April 24, 2004 NCHR National Conference!
8:00 PM to 5:00 AMm@New York University at Furman Hall
245 Sullivan Street  New York, NY
$25 ($15 for students with ID)
Contact 212-337-0005 ext. 305 should you have any questions.

Dear friends:

 In 2002, the National Coalition for Haitian Rights (NCHR) organized a
 national meeting around building a National Haitian-American Agenda.
 The gathering attracted about 150 participants from across the United
 States.This year, we are organizing another meeting on the theme of
 “Stepping Forward Together in 2004”.The conference will take place in
 New York at New York University on April 24, 2004.
 We hope that you’ll agree that this conference is timely.It will give
 Haitians the opportunity to reflect on their role in the US, and the
 influence they might be able to exercise through greater political
 participation at the local, state and national level during this
 presidential election year.What are the burning issues for our
 communities\?How can we obtain greater private and public sector
 resources when they are not plentiful?
 Moreover, Haiti’s bicentennial compels us to also reflect meaningfully
 on our transnational ties and the appropriate responses to political
 developments there.What does the abrupt change of government in Haiti
 mean for its people\?Can democracy, human rights, and the rule of law
 take root in Haiti\?How can we best try to improve the lives of Haitians
 in Haiti?
 Most importantly, we need to become much better organized and strategic
 in our efforts to improve the lives of our brothers and sisters.
 The first step is to hold this modest yet attractive 1-day conference on
 topics that Haitians feel passionate about.Morning sessions will deal
 with domestic issues and afternoon sessions will focus on Haiti and
 immigration/ Human rights issues. We hope to wrap up the day with a plan
 of action that emerges from the day’s lively and informative
 discussions and which we can take back to our respective communities and
 begin implementing in coordinated and unified fashion.
 We are determined to have this conference herald the beginning of a new
 era for the Haitian community in the United States.Your commitment will
 go a long way in helping to achieve that goal.To ensure maximum
 participation, we have set the registration fee at a modest $25.00.
 Seating is limited however, so I urge you to register early.I look
 forward to seeing you and working diligently with you on April
 24th.Please feel free to contact Fiona Peck at 212-337-0005 ext. 305
 should you have any questions,
 Sincerely, Jocelyn McCalla Executive Director
  Please call 212-337-0005 ext. 305 for registration by phone and website