21414: Libby: The Need for Dance and Drum (fwd)

From: Slipofthelib@aol.com

Please Post:

I hope you can help.
I am a journalist who's volunteered to write an article for an new arts and culture magazine. The Focus: The Need for Expression, Haitian Dancing and Drumming in New York City. I am an American who has been taking Haitian dance classes for many years. I've noticed a change in the classes since the recent uprising. There's a new level of energy ther. An outpouring of emotion is coming from the Haitian dancers and drummers and even from the non-Haitian dancers. It's as if everyone pouring all their love, sadness, and anger into their song and dance and sending it to the homeland. But it is a physical thing, not articulated with words.

I'm looking for others (in New York City only) who have noticed this specific change, be it an increase in frequency or intensity of dance/drum exhibitions, voudoun ceremonies, dance performances, concerts. Please direct me to any shows or events here that you think I should attend this month where this vibe is expected to be felt. Direct me to any New York organizers or artists who come to mind.

I have little time to work on this piece, but I want it to give it full justice and to aptly describe why Haitian expression through music and movement is so essential to the healing process--particularly now. The photos of the dancers and drummers will also capture that.

Please contact me at Slipofthelib@aol.com if you have any advice.

Many thanks to you.
Libby