21431: Steczynski: Ties between Poland and Haiti (fwd)

From: John Steczynski <steczyns@bc.edu>

[Corbett asks list:  Any of you who can help with this question?]

Dear Mr. Corbett,

I just came upon your review of *Poland's Caribbean Tragedy.....*

I have a bit of interest in Haitian art.  By chance, I've come upon
reproductions of Erzulie Dantor.  I was struck, because as someone with
Polish background, I was familiar with her as Our Lady of Czestochowa.
Needless to say, I was curious to know how the patroness of Poland got to
also be one of the most powerful Voodoo goddesses.  I wonder if this
happened during this period of Haitian War of Independence, when there were
Poles there, or if there was some other connection even before this.

I'd love to hear if you have any information, or can lead me to some.

My younger daughter, who has Multiple Sclerosis, has developed a devotion to
our Lady of Czestochowa.  This actually happened after seeing an image of
Erzulie in a Caribbean shop window.  Just this weekend, a Haitian woman who
lives across the hall from my daughter stopped by to see if she was all
right (there was a fire alarm, and my daughter is in a wheel chair), and saw
her image of Czestochowa.  She took her to her apartment to show her that
she had exactly the same image, except that she knows her as Erzulie.
So....

Again, my daughter and I are both curious about this aspect of the
Polish/Haitian connection.

Thanks.

John Steczynski