21629: (Arthur) Caricom praised for standing up to the US (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Caricom praised for standing up to the US

29 April, 2004 - BBC Caribbean service

Veteran regional journalist, Ricky Singh, is praising Caricom for standing
firm on its position of not recognizing the interim government in Haiti, even
though the US has urged the Caribbean Community to do so.

A security meeting between Caricom national security ministers and the US
Homeland Security Secretary, Tom Ridge, planned for the Bahamas on May 3, has
been postponed because the US wanted Haiti's interim government - not recognised
by Caricom, to attend.

Mr Singh applauded Caricom's response, "What they're objecting to is that
they cannot be forced by any foreign government, however powerful - as is
certainly the United States, into changing the rule by which it plays in its own self
interest in order to merely have a dialogue with the United States."

Caricom Secretary-General, Edwin Carrington, said their decision not to sit
at the table with representatives of the Haiti government was a principled one.

"Security is very important to all of us, but I think the first thing that is
of importance is the nature and regard for our community and you cannot
compromise on that principle," Mr Carrington said.

"The USA insists on not changing its stance, and as a result it figures that
if you cannot do what we want to see, we will not come to the meeting," Mr
Singh said.

He also dismissed suggestions from the United States that Caricom, by not
recognizing the new administration, is not keen to see normality quickly restored
in Haiti.

"It's very wrong of the United States to project Caricom in a very bad light.
I think it is doing so because it…has misread the militancy and the dignity
of this small region. We may be small, we have limited resources, but there is
something called Caribbean pride, which we are prepared to stand up for.”

The veteran Caribbean journalist also said that the US should not expect to
tell Caricom “if and when” the organisation should have an engagement with the
interim regime in Haiti, which he contends has "no legitimacy, and then tell
us that if we do not do that then you will not participate in any meeting."

Compromise

On the matter of whether it would not have been better for both Caricom and
the United States to put aside their differences and work towards the good of
Haiti, Mr Singh said, "That is where the United States as a sole superpower has
the leverage. It could engage Caricom in a sensible discussion. Don't
threaten them that you will not go to the meeting, go to the meeting and make the
kind of point that you are airing."

He said that Washington should not expect to stay from "afar" and dictate to
15 independent nations how to conduct their own foreign policy.