=?x-unknown?q?21662=3A__Esser=3A_Stand_Firm=2C_Caricom_=96_?==?x-unknown?q?Facing_Reality_?=

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Nation Newspaper Barbados
http://www.nationnews.com

May 3, 2004

Stand Firm, Caricom – Facing Reality
by David Comissiong

THE CLEMENT PAYNE MOVEMENT recently held a coalition of Caribbean
Civil Society organisations in intervening at the meeting of
CARICOM’s “Council For Foreign And Community Relations” (COFCOR) in
Barbados on Friday 23rd April 2004, in order to demand that CARICOM
stand firm on its call for a United Nations investigation into
President Aristide’s ouster.

A three-person delegation comprising David Comissiong, Thelma
Gill-Barnett and David Denny, all of the Clement Payne Movement, and
representing a substantial number of Caribbean non-governmental
organisations, presented letters addressed to Caricom
Secretary-General Edwin Carrington and to all of the CARICOM Foreign
Ministers who were present at the COFCOR meeting at the Barbados
Pavilion.

Following is the text of the said letter: -

Dear Mr. Carrington

Re: Haiti

I write to you as the representative of a coalition of some 11
people’s organisations from the Caribbean nations of Haiti, St Lucia,
Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Antigua, and Barbados, which met in
Barbados on March, 20 and developed a Caribbean people’s analysis and
statement on the situation in Haiti.

The central component of our analysis and statement consisted of an
expression of approval of and admiration for the position taken by
CARICOM in issuing a call for an investigation under the auspices of
the United Nations into the circumstances surrounding President
Aristide’s unconstitutional ouster from office, and a request that
CARICOM take immediate and effectual steps to actualise its “call” by
piloting an appropriate resolution in the General Assembly of the
United Nations.

We are now extremely concerned however, that CARICOM appears to be
guilty of undue delay in making any concrete effort to officially
place this matter before the United Nations General Assembly or
indeed before any other relevant organ or officer of the United
Nations.

Our concern has been heightened in recent days by the following
reported developments:

(1) United Nations Secretary – General Kofi Annan has declared that
he is unable to act on the matter of a probe into Aristide’s ouster
unless he has a formal request to do so either from the Security
Council or CARICOM;

(2) United Nations spokesman Farhan Haq has informed the IPS news
agency that – “We have read news reports that CARICOM wants a United
Nations investigation, but unless we receive an official request . .
. from CARICOM . . . we cannot act on it,” and

(3) Reginald Dumas, the United Nations special adviser on Haiti, was
quoted as saying that he is surprised at CARICOM’s delay.

Now, we are only too well aware that the governments of CARICOM have
been subjected to enormous pressure and evil threats by the
governments of the United States and France in order to intimidate
our governments into backing off from their just and reasonable
demand for a United Nations investigation.

We therefore wish, through your good offices, to say to all of our
CARICOM Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Heads of Government that the
people of the Caribbean are watching them intently and expect them to
rise to the occasion and to demonstrate the strength, courage,
integrity and vision that is now more than ever required of the
leaders of small, black Third World nations facing an aggressive
threat of re-colonisation and disregard of their independence and
sovereignty by the governments of the United States and other
imperialist European forces.

Should CARICOM back down from its call for a United Nations
investigation, it will be sending a dangerous signal of weakness to
those forces intent on dominating our region, and will expose our
regional organisation to worldwide ridicule and loss of face.

In addition, CARICOM will be perpetrating a colossal betrayal of the
people of Haiti and the Caribbean that will be recorded in our
history as an episode of infamy and disgrace.

We therefore call upon the Foreign Ministers of CARICOM currently
meeting in Barbados to use this meeting to decide upon a precise and
urgent deadline for the submission of an official CARICOM resolution
and demand to the General Assembly of the United Nations and to
Secretary General Kofi Annan, and to urge our Heads of Government to
accept and adhere to such a deadline.

We look forward to hearing a public official announcement on this
matter by CARICOM as a matter of urgency.

– David A. Comissiong

President, Clement Payne Movement.
.