21657: (Chamberlain) Puerto Rico collects $320,000 for Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

SAN JUAN, May 2 (AP) – The local government has collected more than
$320,000 as part of a campaign to aid Haiti. Political instability has
deteriorated the living conditions of more than 8 million people living in
the neighboring Caribbean country. Secretary of State Jose Izquierdo made
the announcement on Friday.

Izquierdo said they were able to collect the money in less than a month
with the help of government and private employees who volunteered in the
relief campaign.

"The need of others is our concern. When a neighboring country is stricken
with pain, that is when we must show our solidarity,” Izquierdo said during
a ceremony in which he handed out the money to the American Red Cross.

Izquierdo said the Red Cross will send the money to its international
chapter for distribution. The money will be used to meet the most pressing
needs of the Haitian population.