21739: White: Congresswoman Barbara Lee Calls for TRUTH Commission (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

Press Release from Congresswoman Barbara Lee
Ninth Congressional District of California
U.S. House of Representatives

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
Contact:  Stuart Chapman
May 5, 2004
(202) 225-2398

Congresswoman Barbara Lee Calls for TRUTH Commission

Reaffirms Support for CARICOM's Non-Recognition of Haitian Interim
Prime Minister Gerard Latortue's Government

Washington, DC - At a press conference today with other Congressional
Black Caucus' Haiti Task Force members, Congresswoman Barbara Lee
(D-CA) issued the following statement:

"I stand in solidarity with CARICOM and its position not to recognize
the non-democratic and illegitimate, interim government of Haiti.
Today, as Prime Minister Latortue visits Washington, DC, I am here to
remind the Bush Administration about the CBC Haiti Task Force's
support for CARICOM's regional leadership and for the people of
Haiti."

"United, we will not stand for the injustice of Haiti's 33rd de facto
coup d'etat, which brought Prime Minister Latortue to office.
CARICOM, the people of the Caribbean, and Members of Congress demand
that an investigation into the ousting of President Aristide and the
truth behind the Bush Administration regime change foreign policy be
brought to light."

"I have called for a TRUTH Commission, which stands for The
Responsibility for Uncovering the TRUTH about Haiti. That commission
would be independent and bi-partisan, and it would uncover the Bush
Administration's role in Haiti not merely around the days of
President Aristide's exile, but systematically undermining the
Haitian government during the three years before February 29.  The
TRUTH Commission is important because I believe the Bush
Administration undercut the potential for a diplomatic solution for:
peaceful democratic elections, any potential for a cease-fire, and an
end to violence.  None of us can afford another failed Bush foreign
policy."

"Regardless what you think about Aristide, this is an issue of
democracy and the rule of law.  If the United States will intervene
and participate in the overthrow of a democratically-elected
President today, what will stop them from doing it again in the
future?"

C. Stuart Chapman
Press Secretary
Office of Congresswoman Barbara Lee