21824: Esser: Demonstrations in Miami and New York against Latortue (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Agence Haïtienne de Presse

May 10, 2004

Demonstrations in Miami and New York against Gérard Latortue and a
planned demonstration for May 18 in Haiti

New-York, May 10, 2004 -(AHP)- Several hundred Haitians  organized
two sit-ins in Manhattan against the U.S. visit by the provisional
Haitian Prime Minister,  Gérard Latortue.

The Haitians rallied near a hotel where Mr. Latortue was scheduled to
give a news briefing, chanting slogan hostile to the interim prime
minister, accusing him of  backing a coup d'état in Haiti.

President Aristide had left the country suddenly on February 29 under
circumstances that remain confused, while rebels hesitated to march
on the capital after having set fire to police stations and numerous
government offices in several parts of the country.

 A member of the coordination unit of Fanmi Lavalas in New York,
 Pierre Florestal, declared that Gérard Latortue does not represent
the Haitian people and can not negotiate on Haiti's behalf.

Hundreds of Haitians demonstrated against Gérard Latortue in Miami
and New York last Friday and Saturday, claiming he "vested himself
with an illegal authority".

In related news, grassroots organizations of Fanmi Lavalas plan to
hold a demonstration on May 18 in Port-au-Prince to call for an end
to the repression and for the return to power of President Jean
Bertrand Aristide.

A Fanmi Lavalas activist Jackenson François, declared that it is
unacceptable that the rights of Haitians continue to be trampled.

"We are going to take to the streets in a peaceful manner on May 18,
a date of great historical importance, to say that we are determined
to fight for the respect of our rights and of the Haitian
Constitution", said Jackenson François.
.