21944: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Haitians to raise flags for unity (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, May. 17, 2004

CULTURAL CELEBRATION

Haitians to raise flags for unity

Haitian-Americans expect a joyful and harmonious celebration of Haitian Flag
Day on Tuesday.

BY DARRAN SIMON

dsimon@herald.com

In the next few days, Haitian-Americans in South Florida will wave their
flags, dance and celebrate the memory of Jean-Jacques Dessalines, the
founding father of Haiti.

Haitian Flag Day is Tuesday, and leaders said they don't foresee the kind of
tension between African Americans and Haitian Americans that has marred past
celebrations.

Leaders say the communities are moving beyond their perceived differences.

''Whether it is Haitian American, Jamaican American or African American, we
are all black people,'' said Francois Leconte, president of Minority
Development and Empowerment, a community-based service organization
targeting the Caribbean. ``We all work to address the issues that we are
facing.''

On Tuesday, Haitian Americans will officially celebrate the creation of the
flag that symbolizes Haiti's struggle and its liberation from France. The
flag was created on May 18, 1803, months before Haiti declared its
independence in January 1804.

The weekend will be filled with picnics and parties, where flag-draped
Haitians will show their pride in being from the first black independent
country in the Western hemisphere.

''It's not only a day for Haitians. It is a day for black people and people
of all nations,'' said Eric Boucicaut, president of ACTION Foundation, a
nonprofit organization in Broward that promotes Haitian art and culture.

Boucicaut said ACTION is planning an art exhibit with Haitian- and
African-American artists later this year.

''We are trying to say that we come from the same place,'' Boucicaut said.
``We have followed the same paths, and our future is tied together.''

The Haitian holiday has sparked conflict between African Americans and
Caribbeans in past years, in schools and elsewhere. Community forums and
educational programs have addressed the issue, working to emphasize
commonalities among African Africans and Caribbeans.

''There is always tension around cultural pride, but there are tens of
thousands of positive things that are going on when people are learning
about Haitian heritage,'' said Carol Spring, executive director of the
National Conference for Community and Justice.

At North Side Elementary School in Fort Lauderdale, students are getting
ready to soak up Haitian culture with a week of trivia questions this week
and a celebration on May 25.

North Side students are learning the Haitian national anthem in Creole. And
they created costumes and scenery for their May 25 performance at the
school, which has a large Haitian population.

''Everyone needs to celebrate their culture,'' said Mary Darby, an art
teacher at North Side. ``Every culture has something to contribute to the
whole. Since we are a country of many cultures, we need to learn from
everybody that's represented here.''

Dr. Frantz Delva, a semi-retired internist, said Haitians and
African-Americans need to work together.

''There are people who want to have dissension. . . but they don't have a
grasp of history,'' said Delva, who was born in Port-au-Prince 59 years ago.

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp