22118: Simidor: Of Zero Tolerance bullets in the neck (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

In weeks past, I took issue with the cowardly and cynical manipulation by Lavalas operators of the recent crime wave in Haiti, a condition they helped create in the first place with their criminal distribution of automatic weapons in the slums of P.au.P, in the days and weeks leading to Aristide’s inglorious flight from power.  “Thousands of Lavalas members assassinated in the aftermath of the coup” claimed the same hysterical sources who reported previously, “from reliable witnesses” that Aristide had been led from the National Palace “in handcuffs,” in the morning of February 29.

My point then was quite simple: if thousands of Lavalas members had been killed, what are their names?  What are the circumstances of their death?  While debunking the syllogism of equating the Feb. 29 “coup” with the Sep. 29, 1991 coup, I made allowance for some revenge killings that had taken place, e.g. the infamous Ti Roro in Ti Gwav, adding that Lavalas may be tasting a measure of their own medicine, which in many cases had been a “Zero Tolerance” bullet in the neck.

Some Lavalas operators, in typical fashion, saw this as a call to violence against them.  This was echoed on this list by one Du Tuyau who was “bothered very much” by my post,

>for it's not for the first time that inuendos,
>non-advertising-but-nevertheless-subliminal messages
>tainted with little bit of violence very strong,
>flows through that same pen. (Post 21931)

The implication throughout the balance of this message was that I was using the list to promote violence against lavalas.

Our ever-vigilant moderator let that one pass, and I kept my peace.  The same Du Tuyau is back this week with a slimier attack, and again our vigilant moderator allowed it:

> No wonder some intellectual people want to kill
>ex- president with a bullet in the neck. Oh oh I am
>so happy I am not intellectual. I therefore cannot
>ever justify killing people like myself, because I am
>people too. I kill chicken for cooking only, no people
>for politics.  (Post 22065)

I hold such attacks beneath contempt.  People can play the fool all they want, but even fools can be brought to account.

“Zero tolerance against crime” is a page Aristide borrowed from NYC’s mayor Adolph Giuliani, during his exile years in Washington.  Reduce crime by criminalizing urban youth.  In typical fashion, Aristide elected to bypass the crumbling justice system, and to put the law directly in the hands of a lavalas-controlled police and the lavalas “OPs” at his service.  A “Zero Tolerance” bullet in the neck is not something I invented, but a well-established Lavalas practice.  Ask around Cite Soleil or in Carrefour, where a mother is still mourning the murder of her three sons at point blank range by a “Zero Tolerance” squad. I don’t recall in those days a single protest against this vile Lavalas policy by the current Lavalas apologists.

Daniel Simidor