22142: Kathleen: The lush and verdant Central Plateau (fwd)

From: kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

Everything that was so dusty in February is lush and green; unlike poor
Veret, the brothers of Ste Therese and MPP safeguard the trees around Papay.
  The ground absorbs the rain and seeds planted a mere three days ago are
sprouting already.
When I was drawing up my geography plan last time, I forgot to include that
the road leading by the ancien military base, Sisters schools, MPP, radio
station, turnoff to TiDo, will end 7 miles after  the Sant at Bassin Zim,
which decorates the cover of the Teleco phone book (last time I looked).
Splendid falls - I hope I get there this trip.
In the morning I awoke to ferocious wolflike growls.  It is my cat.  She
thinks she's a Dog.  A Great Big Dog, says Ti Boss.  Her kittens won't let
me pick them up yet.
Listening to the news on the radio, one is struck by the contrast between
the commercials ("for Mother's Day, i want Givency lingerie!!" " I bought a
computer at CompHaiti and got a digital camera for only one dollar!") and
the stories - so many lives lost, ruined.  Nancy Roc's "Metropolice" program
last Sunday (replayed on Tuesday night) featured a lengthy interview with
EDH employee and clear evidence of fraud and theft, with written evidence of
collusion by Central Bank.  It has a new head now..
A couple of years ago, we (Bazelais, Lou-Lou and sometimes a fourth person)
frequently passed through Veret on our way to Gonaives and St. Marc.  There
was a beautiful 18th century church/cathedral, gone now according to
reports.
So long for now.  Your woman in Payay.  kathleen