22127: erzilidanto: . Grief as Haitians and Dominicans Tally Flood Toll (fwd)

From: Erzilidanto@aol.com

.  Grief as Haitians and Dominicans Tally Flood Toll

> May 28, 2004

>  By TIM WEINER and LYDIA POLGREEN

> SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic, May 27 - Aid workers,

> soldiers and villagers struggled to save the living, find

> the lost and bury the dead in Haiti and the Dominican

> Republic on Thursday after floods that took everything in

> their path.

> "We have nothing left," said Socorro Moquete, a 67-year-old

> grandmother in Jimaní, the most devastated town in the

> Dominican Republic. "The river took everything, even the

> dead in the cemetery."

> Burials have been rough and rapid, and many hundreds of

> people remained missing three days after the spring rains

> made the rivers run wild. An accurate assessment of the

> death and damage may take days.

> Government officials in both nations said the confirmed

> death toll from the devastating floods reached nearly 900

> on Thursday. But they said it might go as high as 2,000,

> with the greatest losses in Haiti, making it one of the

> worst natural disasters in Caribbean history.

> The death counts remain estimates from officials citing

> conflicting and sometimes second-hand information. They

> stood as high as 1,660 or more in Haiti, according to some

> government officials, and were confirmed at more than 300

> in the Dominican Republic.

> A total of at least 11,200 families, probably more, have

> been displaced by the flood in both nations, Red Cross

> workers here said. Thousands of homes and shanties have

> been destroyed in villages so poor and isolated that no one

> is exactly sure how many people lived there before the

> flood.

> Two weeks of heavy rains, which continued Thursday, became

> a deadly torrent at dawn on Monday. In Haiti, as much as

> five feet fell in 36 hours on the town of Fond Verrettes,

> in a valley about 40 miles east of the capital,

> Port-au-Prince, officials said.

> The rains washed away villages and hamlets clinging to the

> deforested hills along the border separating the two

> nations, which share the island of Hispaniola in the

> Caribbean.

> The death toll was so high, in part, because almost all the

> trees on those hills are gone, and the soil is eroded,

> leaving no natural barrier for the annual spring rains. The

> trees have been cut for charcoal, the only product with

> much market value in Haiti, the Western Hemisphere's

> poorest nation.

> The two hardest-hit areas in Haiti are in and around Fond

> Verrettes, where hundreds are dead and missing, and in and

> around Mapou, to the southeast, where at least 280 people

> are dead and as many as 1,000 are feared to have died,

> according to conflicting accounts given by Haitian

> officials.

> International aid workers are still trying to reach towns

> and villages in Haiti's southeast, including Bodarie,

> Thiotte and Grand Gosier. Margareth Martin, the Haitian

> [...]

*********
Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers Leadership
******

******

"Men anpil chaj pa lou"  is Kreyol for - "Many hands make light a heavy load."

See, The Haitian Leadership Networks'  7 "men anpil chaj pa

lou" campaigns to help restore Haiti's independence, the will of the mass
electorate and the rule of law. See,
http://www.margueritelaurent.com/pressclips/haitianlawyers.html ; http://www.margueritelaurent.com/campaigns/campaigns.html

and Haitiaction.net

********