22170: erzilidanto: Aristide speaks of love of country and people - May 30, 2004/Gleaner (fwd)

From: Erzilidanto@aol.com

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20040530/lead/lead4.html
Aristide speaks of love of country and people
published: Sunday | May 30, 2004

Dr. Peter Phillips, left, Minister of National Security, greets Jean-Bertrand
Aristide when the former Haitian president made a courtesy call on him last
week. - Rudolph Brown/Staff Photographer

The following is an excerpt of a recent interview that Radio Mona's Michael
Anthony Cuffe had with the exiled Haitian leader, Jean-Bertrand Aristide and
his wife Mildred.

M: I'd just like to start out President by asking about your stay in Jamaica,
how has it been.

A: First of all I have to say thanks to Prime Minister Patterson, the
government and the Jamaican people. It's a very special time for us, we appreciate
the warm welcome and this time which is as I said a very special one for us. So
we say thanks for all that.

M: You are used to meeting a lot of dignitaries, interacting with a lot of
people in general - are you missing any of the normal routine of day to day
activity?

A: I try to be living in deep communion with the Haitian people, and with
billions of people suffering throughout the world. When we have so many people
without food because they have to live with less than US$1 a day; when we have
so many people faced with HIV or other kinds of diseases; when we have so many
jobless in the world. Of course living in deep communion with them means
sharing their suffering and accepting our personal suffering as part of the global
one. That means for me, yes it's a special time, but I don't see it as bad to
be complaining about it. I embrace it. I assume it and I try to say, well, I
am living in a house, what about so many others who cannot find a house to
live? I can eat. What about so many others who are spending days without eating
well or finding food for their children. So this is an expression of love moving
and living this way?

M: Describe your average day for me President