22193: (Chamberlain) re 22118: Simidor (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> Simidor wrote:

> In weeks past, I took issue with the cowardly and cynical manipulation by
Lavalas operators of the recent crime wave in Haiti, a condition they
helped create in the first place with their criminal distribution of
automatic weapons in the slums of P.au.P, in the days and weeks leading to
Aristide’s inglorious flight from power.  “Thousands of Lavalas members
assassinated in the aftermath of the coup” claimed the same hysterical
sources who reported previously, “from reliable witnesses” that Aristide
had been led from the National Palace “in handcuffs,” in the morning of
February 29. (...) If thousands of Lavalas members had been killed, what
are their names?  What are the circumstances of their death?

_______

To Simidor's timely remarks, may I add that it's now a month since it was
pointed out on this list that the iconic democracynow! website was
reporting that the leader of a National Lawyers' Guild delegation to Haiti
"says he saw hundreds of corpses being dumped."

www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/12/1424200&mode=thread&tid=25

Fenton, who posted the democracynow! extract on this list, admitted when
challenged that the report did not say this at all.  But he and Esser said
it wasn't a very important mistake.

Just to note that the error remains on the website.  I hope this is not an
indication of the contempt that democracynow! et al. have for accuracy when
it comes to a "fact" which serves their propaganda...

                Greg Chamberlain