22199: Binard: Re: 22151: racine125 re 21903: radtimes: In Haiti's chaos, unpunished rape was norm (fwd)

From: Marc Binard <islandoc2001@yahoo.com>

Dear Mambo racine,
Thank you for your open and honest email.
Unfortunately, the rape/ sexual harrasment issue is
not limited to Haiti , though in Haiti it may be at
its most extreme.

Here in the Bahamas, it is difficult for a woman to
walk alone without getting harrased in a very
aggressive manner. I am " Blanc' and my GF is Haitian
/ bahamian. The amount of rude racist comments
directed at my GF is unbelievable. Interestingly, the
comments are usually made by bahamian males who
typically prey on the blancs tourist girls so I dont
think they have an aversion to inter racial
relationships.

I have been a frequent visitor to Haiti for 32 yrs, my
step mom is from PAP. I have never encountered any
surly attitudes in Haiti except in Jacmel. On my visit
there last year, I was dissapointed with the general
milieu and rude comments directed at my 15 yo
daughter. I had never encountered this in PAP, Cap or
elswhere in Haiti. I attributed this to Jacmel being a
bit of a tourist town but it certainly left me less
than enthusiastic about a return visit. MY GF's mother
is from Jacmel so I expect to be back sometime but our
vist to Haitithis month ( Her first) will be limited
to Au Cap and maybe a brief trip to PAP.

Mambo Racine, I am sorry to hear of your traumatic
events in Jacmel. From what I can read in your letter,
you are some one who has given a lot of your self to
haiti and her people, to now be openly attacked on the
beach must be a terrible dissapointment.

I wish for you peace and tranquility .

Marc Binard
Abaco Bahamas