22164: Kathleen: Full moon coming again over Papaye (fwd)

From: kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

Last night, after the sun had set, I turned on the terrace (I always sit in
this partially open room in my house at twilight - beautiful) to see who had
turned on the electricity!.It's amazing how bright the not-yet-full moon is
up here in the mountains.  When we had electricity, the guys would not
bother with the outside lights.  This time, I was amazed to find that I not
only didn't mind the lack of electricity, I craved it.  Over-currented
before I left, too many emails, too much tv, too much forbidden chocolate
stuff being eaten after dinner from constantly cold freezer.  It's so
peaceful to live by candlelight and batteries.  I shall strip myself down to
the basics - HBO only - when I come back.  Try to ignore the refrigerator.
I took the notes I had left here for my book and put them in my suitcase, so
I shall write at night or *gasp* have more face to face conversations
instead of indulging in films.  Have probably seen most of them by now
anyway.
I want to continue with a description of my journey to Papay after sleeping
over one night in Petionville.  As it was May 18, Flag Day, we were treated
to lovely parades of school children in blue shirts and shorts with red
sashes, singing the national anthem with ardor and strength.  I missed the
opportunity to take a photo of a costumed flag draped man on a burro, but I
did get the children and the brass band (not on digital yet).  The car was
full, and we bopped along to wonderful Dominican Republican musician
(Quinze?) whose words I couldn't understand but whose music I adore.  When
we passed the abandoned ashram at Terre Rouge, we stopped to get something
to eat at the roadside stand just up the hill.  Five little girls demanded
money for the privilege of taking their photo but settled for a promise of
"jouets" on the way back.  A large woman asked if I would bring her some
too; when I replied in Kreyol that I did not have any adult toys, the
laughter of one of the young women in the car made me wonder if she knew the
American meaning of the term.  I didn't ask (As Asterisk and Obelisk would
say, "Cherche pas a comprende!"
Many fields were under cultivation by the road; one of them was for tobacco!
  I don't know why I was so surprised, but I was.  People sitting on piles
of mangoes, preparing them for shipment to Port au Prince and beyond.  The
road actually seemed better in spots, but we were lucky, it was a sunny day,
no floods as we went up into the mountains and plateau.
The men  who were detained in PortauPrince with weapons were later released
with all but the automatic weapons, to return to Hinche.  I went  by the
military base again today; one must pass it when leaving Papay for Hinche.
It looks very well set up for a permanence: " more than ten buildings, less
than twenty,"set up like a small town, with pathways:  milk cows, water
towers, men  in camoflage, helmeted sentinels.  I don't dare think what will
happen with this encampment in the future.  For now, they do not confront
the Chilean  peacekeepers, but seem to keep to themselves.  It would be a
mitzvah for an AP, Reuters, or other intelligence to report on this rebel
base.
It should be beautiful by moonlight tonight in ti do.   kathleen