22226: erzilidanto: Barbara Lee on telling the TRUTH by Wanda Sabir (fwd)

From: Erzilidanto@aol.com

http://www.sfbayview.com/052604/barbaralee052604.shtml

Barbara Lee on telling the TRUTH
by Wanda Sabir

Earlier this month the Bush administration invited Haitian Prime Minister
Gerald Latortue to Washington, D.C. Several members of the Congressional Black
Caucus met with him, although overall the congressional numbers were low.

Rep. Barbara Lee, whose House Bill 3919, TRUTH or The Responsibility to
Uncover the Truth about Haiti, was introduced last month, had a few minutes for a
phone interview last week. Since our conversation, the busy lady has introduced
an amendment to legislation which would have prevented the United States
allocating Department of Defense funds to overthrow governments (Defense
Authorization Act, H.R. 4200). It was rejected by the Republicans in the House Rules
Committee May 19.

Meanwhile, Rep. Maxine Waters has called for an investigation of human rights
abuses against civilians, most notably Sò Anne. These two woman are always
busy firing off bills and other legislation. They don't seem to miss a beat or
allow their congressional peers to catch them asleep.

They seem to really take their jobs seriously, unlike other representatives
such as Nancy Pelosi and Sens. Boxer and Feinstein, who seem to have forgotten
their job description, definitely where they come from - the sunny, liberal
San Francisco Bay Area. Call them and demand they support TRUTH.

Wanda Sabir: Tell me about TRUTH.

Barbara Lee: "We need an independent investigation, and this Truth Commission
would do just that. I support CARICOM in their efforts to seek the truth, and
the United States of America should seek the truth. We shouldn't allow a
violent overthrow of the government. We wouldn't allow a foreign government to
come in and violently take out our president regardless to whether or not we
agree, so why would we support efforts to violently overthrow a democratically
elected president in a Black Caribbean country? It's outrageous."

Wanda Sabir: So how is it being received?

Barbara Lee: The congresswoman first explains how the "ridiculous political
process works in Washington," then provides the steps in the "democracy dance."

"What you do is introduce a resolution then you go get sponsors for it. We
have about 50 co-sponsors. The problem is the Republicans have the majority of
the Congress, White House and the Senate, so we have to build up a lot of
support, and that requires grassroots organizing. Now if you have Republicans in
power, you have to take them out. They don't support anything. That's why this
political campaign is important. People need to register to vote and get to the
polls."

Wanda Sabir: So you don't see this happening before we find out who'll be in
the White House next year?

Barbara Lee: "(Not) unless something extraordinary happens that the
Republicans think that it makes sense to investigate the United States' role in this
coup d'état even though they were responsible for funding it, and helping
initiate it. But again, if people speak out and say, 'We want this,' it will happen.

"That's the important part. People have to understand democracy works like
that, and so we can't just have people sitting back as in the past. We have to
have people calling their representatives, sitting on their door steps to push
them forward."

Wanda Sabir: Since the meetings that were arranged between congressmembers
and Gerald Latorture, what has transpired since those meetings with regards to
United States policy towards Haiti?

Barbara Lee: "I didn't participate in the meetings, so I'm not the one to
ask. I think we should support CARICOM's decision in not recognizing the
illegitimate government. I also think we should push for humanitarian aide to go to
the right non-government agencies (NGOs), who are looking out for the
humanitarian needs of the Haitian people. In addition to an independent investigation,
we need to try to get humanitarian assistance and economic development."

Wanda Sabir: Secretary of State Colin Powell met with the Congressional Black
Caucus. What was the result of that meeting?

Barbara Lee: "First, he didn't know that the $25 billion for Iraq was coming.
He was totally out of the loop on that. Secondly, with regards to Haiti, he
felt that the new prime minister was worthy of our audience. He felt he was a
dedicated person - well, naturally he'd feel this way. Latorture is their
puppet. We didn't buy that."

Wanda Sabir: So it's business as usual in Washington. Nothing has altered
Bush's position on Haiti regarding the charges brought against President Aristide
and the military presence there?

Barbara Lee: "My understanding is that things are continuing. We are getting
information now from the ground in terms of some of the articles coming out,
some of the dangers people are in and some of the human rights violations."

Wanda Sabir: Yes, in the current issue of the San Francisco Bay View there is
an article about a Haitian singer, Sò Anne, and humanitarian who was arrested
on Sunday, May 9, Mother's Day.

Barbara Lee: "It's outrageous. We're looking into that. We're trying to get a
sense of what's going on on the ground. And I don't rely on the Bush
administration, and I don't think they should. We know what they want and that is to
wage war."

Wanda Sabir: I was wondering did the CBC see any parallels, or was it going
to present to the Bush administration parallels between Sò Anne's treatment by
U.S. military and that of the Iraqis - the mistreatment of this elder and her
grandchildren, who were arrested, handcuffed. One child was only 5.

Barbara Lee: "Well, this just happened in Haiti, and we're looking at all
ways to confront this administration on it. Every which way we can, we will.
We're not letting them off the hook."

Wanda Sabir: With regards to the CBC, not all the members oppose the
government of Gerald Latortue. How is the organization handling this divergence in
position among the ranks? Who are these particular members and what are their
reasons?

Barbara Lee: "Call the chair of the CBC. For the most part we're not divided
at all. A few members met with the prime minister. The majority of the CBC do
not accept the prime minister to be the legitimate leader."

Wanda Sabir: The majority are in agreement that Aristide should be returned
to his country?

Barbara Lee: "The majority are in agreement that it was wrong for our
government to be involved in the violent overthrow and in support of the violent
overthrow - a coup d'état of the Aristide government. Secondly, the Black Caucus
agrees that an investigation needs to take place in a TRUTH Commission.
Thirdly, the majority of Black Caucus members believe that humanitarian assistance
needs to get down to the Haitian people. Fourthly, most of the Black Caucus
believes for the most part that CARICOM's position is the correct one, and we
support CARICOM."

Wanda Sabir: What do you think will happen in Haiti if as the presidential
election continues and Haiti is not on anyone's agenda?

Barbara Lee: "It's hard to predict. This administration, this campaign is
unprecedented the way it's being run. We can shape the debate by insisting that
all the candidates address the issue of Haiti and how to restore democracy in
Haiti. We can't just leave it to the candidates. If the voices of the African
Americans and communities of color, progressives, are not heard, the candidates
aren't going to respond. It's up to us, not up to them."

Wanda Sabir: Are you saying we should ask the questions?

Barbara Lee: "I'm saying we should demand the answers to the questions."

Email Wanda at wsab1@aol.com.

*********
Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers Leadership
******

******

"Men anpil chaj pa lou"  is Kreyol for - "Many hands make light a heavy load."

See, The Haitian Leadership Networks'  7 "men anpil chaj pa

lou" campaigns to help restore Haiti's independence, the will of the mass
electorate and the rule of law. See,
http://www.margueritelaurent.com/pressclips/haitianlawyers.html ; http://www.margueritelaurent.com/campaigns/campaigns.html

and Haitiaction.net

********