22242: Racine: Re: 22233: JSenecha: Haiti and Rape (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

> "RAPE"is rampant in Haitian culture, according to Mambo  Racine.

According to *me*?  According to Haitian women's groups!  According to Medecins du Monde!  According to journalists!  According to human rights groups!  Didn't you read the article that started this discussion?  "Maladi kache pa gen remed", hidden sickness has no cure.

> For the safety of the Haitian women, let us also "import"
> "CHASTITY  BELT", European made.

If the "chastity belt" is for the safety of WOMEN, then MEN should wear it!

Actually, I am glad you said this.  I was thinking about the women's liberation movement in the USA and it's cultural antecedents, and I believe that the European concept of "chivalry", though now outmoded, was a cultural step forward.  You know, the knight defends the damsel, etc.; I mean, those roles are also objectifying, but chivalry established the important precedent of men's physical force being used to defend women's physical integrity.

This is diametrically opposite from the thinking that results in "chastity belts" or female genital mutilation.

> Thus, this "Belt-tightening"can safeguard the Haitian
> population
> from "imported" "sexual diseases"such as "AID."

If AIDS is "imported", where was it "imported from"?  The USA?  And from where was it imported, that it came to the USA?  Africa?  And from where was it imported, that it came to Africa...?  The whole world has AIDS, for goodness sakes, and YES, rape and abuse of women certainly contributes to the spread of AIDS, why would anyone imagine differently?

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html